Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peeduh, Feb 19, 2008.

1. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Hey, can anyone give me a good price range for a 283 that is not assembled?
    I know a guy who has one for sale, was told it ran when he got it, but he also received it unassembled so he can't gaurantee anything other than it is complete. He said he'd take $200-250.

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I think that if it was torn apart there's probably a reason.Measure the bore on all 8, check the crank, pistons, block, heads and anything else having to do with it.Then figure what it's going to cost to rebuild it.Personally if it's apart I wouldn't pay that much for it.You should be able to buy a running 283 for that.I'd offer half. Just my 2 cents

3. .... & if anyone within a half day's drive has one at this price I'm a buyer.

JH

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one mans complete is another mans incomplete

a complete 283 with a starter waterpump distributor carb brackets generator intake pulleys and everything else is worth more than a "complete" shortblock

a 57 283 4 bbl is worth more than a 62 2bbl. standard bore is worth more than .o6o over. too many variables and unanswered questions

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

seriously? check out craiglist in Indy. you can pick them up for $75.00

6. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it

7. LowFat48

LowFat48

8. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I got my later block with power pack heads complete from oil pan to carb for free. This is all relative, is this a guy looking to make money? or make space in his garage?

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I'm not by any means downing the 283 but in this area they just don't bring much money. I've known guys to literally throw them over banks or just give em away.Sad isn't it?:(

10. the last 283 i paid $36 for on ebay. the one before that was free if i would haul it out of the guys garage. both had power pack heads and needed rebuilding.

11. 31modelo

31modelo

You can buy complete 283's all day for 200. Don't bother with this one, go through Craigslist in your area and you'll find a couple.

12. Looks like I need to start surfing Craigslist.

JH

13. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Thank you again to everyone who responded.
    Looks like Harrison and I both got some good advice. ha