Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 283 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 26, 2020.

1. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

“It’s not always about the money “

THIS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOTRODPRIMER and X-cpe like this.
  2. I talked to Jerry after lunch today and he assured me there in no problem with sleeving the block, incidentally the two cracks that I previously said were side by side are on opposite sides. HRP

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Hombre, jim snow and louisb like this.
  3. If you are paying the engine builder for all the machine work & parts it can easily cost 2,500 bucks, especially if he is using the best parts.

In my case Jerry has sourced a better set of heads that will make the engine breath better, we haven't discussed the price but I trust him and I know from previous experience his work is second to none in my area. HRP

jim snow likes this.
  4. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Yes, he is doing all the machine work and sourcing all the parts himself. I probably should have said that. Oops.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Before you spend $4500+ on rebuilding a 283, you might want to take a look here: https://www.fivestarengines.com/shop/chevy-283-280-hp-high-performance-balanced-crate-engine/

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Save the crank scrap the block. get a 350 block. install new main bearings and have your friend machine line bore those bearings to accept a set of small journal main bearings. and build a great 301. Bill Jenkens used that method to install 327 cranks in 400 blocks.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

I've had a few sleeved over the years. Mostly they were stock replacements but a couple were mild high performance (street). There were no failures and all of them lived normal lifespans. I don't see any reason not to sleeve the block if you'd like to keep it, assuming the other bores are salvageable.

Since it's a 283, I think you'll also want to carefully check the heads. Back in the day, I recall losing a lot of 283 heads to cracks. It seems they were mostly '65 / '66 vintage engines.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Lou, Jerry say's he has a good set of heads that will help that 283 come to life. HRP

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The link I posted IS a 283, it would keep your build period correct. I saw you had posted $4500 earlier, that's why I gave you the link. But if you're at $2500, then that's close enough, no reason to go for the crate engine I linked to. Best of luck to you.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Yeah, $4500 is a little too rich for my blood. HRP

Blues4U and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  13. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

You could push that all the way up to a 400 ci if you wanted.. Not sure its worth it. A local back in the 60s used to do them for drag cars..

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Rather than suggest a size, from my experience those engines responded very well to any amount of overbore (especially with better cylinder heads). Let the condition of the 6 original bores dictate the size and build from there.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. silent rick

silent rick

i can't give away a standard bore 283

HOTRODPRIMER and brigrat like this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If you were local I'd take it off your hands.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. You bet, If I were closer I would take it and even buy you a case of beer.

What sbc could be considered more traditional? HRP

18. That's a darn good looking engine. HRP

[​IMG]

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

My two comments prior became voided once cracked over scratched up became clear. Happy Buzzing still in the future none the same.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.