Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 cam suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31coupe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. 31coupe

31coupe
    from saskatoon

hi I am looking for some cam suggestions? I'm building model a coupe with a283 30 over with 3x2 2gc carbs. power pack heads, trans th350 with 8" rear 3.40 gears. I am looking for a reasonable street use cam with some rough idle but is more on the lower end of the rpm scale. What are you guys using? Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks.

2. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I really like the lunati voo-doo cams.i have the part number 60101lk 256/262 duration in my 350, little rough idle (would be rougher in your 283)very strong mid range.

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I've had two 283's run this cam,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1103/

in a early nova and it was quick, that one ran a edelbrock performer and holley carb, stock rams horn exh. 3.08 gears.
    Other one was a 70 nova, same as above except with headers, 3.23 gears,
    again, pretty quick

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

5. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

too much cam and you will have to change converter

6. With your combo id go with the Summit 1103. Dunno what your CR is - assuming its for pump gas of course. Others grind the same cam with the same spex.

In an A coupe with a TH 350, It would be fine, even if the convertor is stock. It will also suit your rear gear.

Rat

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  7. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I like the comp 268, in a 283 it might be a little rough though, 350 good

8. Summit Cam Part Number 1102 - I see some recomended the 1103 too. I'd Probably go for the 1103 since it's the bigger one.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  9. sound advice here, you don't want to go to crazy, it will be real easy to over-cam that motor. just keep an eye on the rpm range for the power band. the biggest thing that will help that 283 is something thats going to produce low end torque over top end horsepower.

10. Deuces

Deuces

11. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I was wondering when we would get to this. You should listen to this guy. Something with short duration and lift about .450 would work well. I'm guilty of over-camming a 283 and the car was miserable to drive. That was when I was young and dumb. Now I'm old and...never mind.

fattboyzz likes this.
  12. I think you can run that L82 Corvette cam and call it good.

13. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545047&highlight=cam

Big discussion and folks not agreeing a couple of weeks ago.

I'd give you a couple of suggestions but I don't know much about making an SBC run well so don't ask me.

14. I haven't spent MILLIONS on R+D, so I use the cam companies recommendations. I have some practical experience at my garage taking OUT cams that some guys thought would "sound cool", but ran like a turd on the street. Seat-of-the -pants feeling is way better than burning eye-sockets and washed down rings and carbon build-up from unburnt fuel.......

15. You can avoid that by keeping your revs up and not idleing around.

Hot cams are ment to run in a certain RPM range, run it like it is supposed to be run and you avoid all the problems that most folks have with them.
    Idleing around is something that the power parkers do at big outdoor shows. Hot rodders actually avoid such circumstances.

It doesn't take a lot of cam to feed a 283. A Duntov 30/30 is good if you don't mind adjusting valve lash all the time or an L-79 cam if hydraulic is your game. Both are GM grinds specifically for small block Chevys and both do well on the street. On a 283 they will be a little lumpy but if you keep your revs up you will do fine with either. Both can be purchased from Crane and they are the exact GM grind, ground with permission from genuine GM blueprints.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

i like the l79 in my daily, sounds good but i need more rpms to use it proper

17. Shaggy if you are running it straight up it won't start climbing up on the cam until about 2K. They turn a little better if you run 'em loose. I normally run mine about a quarter turn after no play at the rocker.

I run mine retarded a little bit because that's the way I do things and it likes to cruise between 3000 and 3200 but strait up you should be looking at 2K when you start waking up.

A lot of fellas try and run 'em with an OD tranny. Unless you have a pretty deep gear you want an RV cam with an OD. These cams just are not made to run @ 1800-2200 RPM. Hot cam and OD don't mix.

This is not to say you are running an OD its just information for the masses.

18. Summit 1102 , i have two 283's with them

<-------one of them is in this

19. Abomb

Abomb

20. grey46

grey46

Stock 350 cam and lifters will work good and is very afforable. Just another Idea,did a 283 not long ago and was happy with it.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Seems this comes up about every other week. I'll repeat what I've said about a dozen times and say the .030/.030 Duntov cam is about the worst cam you can run when it comes to a small block. If the rattling lifters make you feel like "the big man on campus" knock yourself out but while your making noise just about any other cam will put you in the reaview mirror of even the weakest challenger. Cam development has relegated every factory grind to the trash bin years ago. I'm not on the payroll but Comp Cams have been at the forefront of competition and street cam development for years. A $5 call to their cam help number will get you a solid recommendation that will optimize your combination. When you call be honest about what you have and what you expect to accomplish and their extensive R&D experience will get you a recommendation that will serve you well. Just be prepared to hear specs that are far more conservative than what you would think.
    Their 268H grind has been their most popular street cam that they grind for years and after installing more than 20 of them at my shop I can tell you it is a great grind for the street especially if your working with a smog era engine. Give them a call, they want you to be happy with your cam choice and they have got the data to help you make a correct choice.

Frank

22. Ron Clevenger

Ron Clevenger

X2, that cam was designed in the 1950's. Cam design technology today will run circles around it.
    Just pick one of the current designed cams, roller hydraulic would be one of the better ones for street. Keep the lobe separation angle (LSA) around 106 or so and it will make the sound you desire.

Blessings........Ron

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Make that X3. The original Duntov cam that was used from '57-'63 will work in a healthy street 283, but the '64-'69 "30-30" grind will lose you a lot of acceleration contests, unless you can talk the other party into racing from a 70 mph roll.

24. Again, Cam Shafts are a lot like women. They are all different and you need to try one out to know if you actually like it or not. Then you have a base to compare the next one too if you are unhappy with the first one you pick. It'll cost you money to change.
    Here is a Summit 1102 in a 283 with a 4-71
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZgs_-RJrZc

it runs out nice - I highly recomend this combination. I bet the cam would perform pretty well Norm Aspirated too.

25. I'm thinking the 268 from Comp or the Summit cam sound like they would work well for a driver.