Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 accessory brackets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nail-head, Mar 7, 2013.

1. nail-head

nail-head

I'm putting together a '65-67 283 to swap into my '64 C10 next week. It's got the early heads with no holes and I'm using ram's horn manifolds also without any mounting bosses or holes. I've got a Sanden compressor on the passenger side. I don't have power steering, but plan to add it sometime in the future, so I'll need room to mount a pump and an alternator on the driver's side. That leaves me puzzled about which brackets to use.

I've found a variety of alternator brackets, but only low mount versions seem to work with my heads and manifolds. All the power steering pump brackets I've found also mount the pump low, or low enough that it will conflict with a low mounted alternator.

Anybody solved this problem before?

2. i couldnt figure it out on my 67 327. i didnt end up putting the power steering so just ended up using a low mount alt bracket on driver side

3. You can get brackets that will work from Alan grove. You may have to drill and tap the head. Bolt up the bracket and use the hole in the bracket for a drill guide. Worked great for me.

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used brackets from Bill's Hot Rod Co. 626-332-1915. He was very helpful, had what I needed and shipped very quickly.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I used Alan Grove.... great product, very affordable, and many optional positions...

6. 327Eric

327Eric

Sounds like you have 2 passenger side exhaust manifolds. get the correct drivers side manifold and bracket, problem solved. Maybe a little uglier than you were wanting, but infinately easier. The manifolds sold by speedway have brackets on both sides. Factory Power steering and alternator brackets are available through the Impala/Chevelle Parts vendors, or, If your lucky, pick n pull. Look for late 60's trucks

7. bgaro

bgaro

check out walden speed shop click on jitney for your alternator, then you'll have room for a low pump.

8. wallyracer449

wallyracer449

i used a bracket that was made to use with headers it mounted using the 2 front manifold bolts

9. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Alan Grove Components has low profile brackets that will bolt right on no holes needed in the heads Great Stuff!!!!

10. nail-head

nail-head

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody, but I've seen them all now and think the ideal set up will require different heads or a different driver's side exhaust manifold and I don't want to replace either. At least not now. I bought a set of exhaust manis without the mounting bosses, but with 2 1/2" outlets because I valued flow more than convenience for accessories. I'll run the alternator low off the holes near the timing chain cover and figure out the power steering pump if I decide to go that way when I rebuild and drop the front end over the summer. I don't mind no power steering unless I'm trying to back a trailer...that will put your skills to the test.

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Alan Grove has the brackets for your application you won't be sorry you bought them...Good price, Great quality! Made in Kansas.