Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28 ROADSTER on 32 FRAME Question???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Good Morning,
    I picked up this original 32 frame (here in alaska of all places). I am building a 28 roadster, but all of the original holes on the frame have been filled, so I have no reference points. Can anyone possibly tell me where the front cowl mounting holes are supposed to be located in reference to the center of the front crossmember? How far back? I included some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. I'd think you would want get the rear axle in and then line up the rear wheelwells with the tires and let that determine where the body sits. Just my $..02 though.

bct, X38, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  3. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Usually yes, but in this situation I have chopped off the rear end of the frame so I am basically building from the front back

4. In that case, Why not mock up the radiator & engine, then mount the body where *you* need it to be? :confused:
    Then you can add the rear of the frame & rear crossmember & suspension, and position them so the rear axle & tires are aligned with your body's rear wheelwells. :cool:

This way, you won't have to butcher the firewall to make room for your engine, after you've bolted down the body. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and brEad like this.
  5. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Because it is basically just 32 frame rails that I am starting with, and the body is not built yet either. I want to curve the frame rails to match the body properly, and I am building the frame so that the model a subrails will not have to be modified....very similar to the walden speed shop chassis

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

BrEad gave you the best advice as far as locating a '28 Model A body on a '32 frame. Breaking this rule will give you a very awkward-looking car. The other unbreakable rule if you want the car's proportions to be right is to place the '28 radiator shell the stock distance from the '28 firewall.

The information you've given so far is incomplete. Do you have a front cross member in the frame already? Let us know this detail and perhaps we can help you with the rest of the process.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. try this

Attached Files:

missysdad1 likes this.
  8. This one might help as well

Attached Files:

Just Gary and missysdad1 like this.
  9. missysdad1

missysdad1

This is really good information. One should always remember that the radiator and shell will need to be moved to the rear and down when a '28-'29 body is used on a '32 frame in order to keep the body proportions correct. This will give a highboy a stretched wheelbase appearance which is a great improvement in my opinion. To leave the radiator and shell in the stock '32 location will give the car what I call a Pinocchio look, not so good.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. adam401

adam401

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Also need to pinch frame at firewall dimension as a 28 is narrower at cowl, my 29 HighBoy Roadster on 32 rails, I used a 32 nose, the rails were pinched, I can not remember how much. Good Luck with your project

12. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

So, back to my original question....can anyone tell me how far from the center of the front crossmember is the front cowl bolt holes on their 28 roadster? if you have a running and driving 28 roadster on 32 rails, i would really appreciate your measurement; as none of those diagrams reference 28 front cowl bolt hole placement

13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I suggest trying 32".

14. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

thank you