Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 28 roadster cowl on a 31 roadster frame?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, Jul 12, 2018.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I set my cowl down on the frame and there are 2 sets of mounts one fwd has one hole lines up with the body and has some eng clearance. The back 2 holes are on a bracket riveted on the frame, the cowl has 2 holes and they match up ,but I have about 4,5 '' of clearance between the back of the eng and f/w.
    I think the best is use the fwd and move the frame mount. What say you?

Thanks,
    jim

2. I did this and only one cowl mount hole lined up, instead of two. So I just used one bolt instead of two

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

This is 2 mount holes in the body and 2 mount holes in the bracket. They line up fine. The other is 1 in body and in cowl they line up fine but the 2 on the bracket then won't line up with the 2 on the body. Using the 2 on the body, I think it's too far back.

4. LOL I got a drill and I'm not afraid to use it. :D :D :D

Sorry man I just could not resist. I have actually done the same thing. Works fine.

48fordnut likes this.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Hey P/B when you haven't done this and all the talk is about eng clearance you begin to wonder.
    I also have a drill ,but would like to use the right holes as the rest of the car will need to line up. Going out to shop to get some pics.

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

This is the rear mount. If I use this the eng /firewall clearance is about 5/6'' 20180712_162755_resized.jpg

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I believe you have a 31 Slant Window 4 dr frame. IIRC they had the mount moved back a few inches from the standard coupe/roadster/sedan bodies. I have seen some of those frames that actually have pilot dimples drilled in the side of the rail that could be used to realign the bracket to the normal location. I think the front rivet hole is reused as the back rivet hole if you slide the bracket forward.
    Don't take what I say as the gospel, you should verify with measurement too.

8. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

The 28/29 body will not line up with both holes on the rear mount/bracket on the 30/31 frame. When you use the front hole in the frame and subrail (comma shaped wood block) The rear hole (closest to the back of the car) on the subrail extension lines up with the front hole (closest to the front of the car) on the bracket. Either move the bracket or just use one hole. I only used one on my last two builds and it was fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the info C/F.
    It is a late 31 roadster frame. I took the car apart. Late I mean it has the recess in the firewall.

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks MJW. If only I had a set of subrails.
    Now to get the cracks welded up in the cowl post and new tops welded on.

11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Here is the f/w to eng clearance using the frame single hole and the cowl single hole. This looks about right.
    I will move the 2 hole mounts on the frame to correspond to the cowl holes.
    I think. 20180712_190534_resized.jpg