Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28' Model A with a factory cowl vent?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sirhc, Oct 29, 2010.

1. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Hey guys...

I'm in the parts collection phase of my first model A project - a 28' sport coupe, donor roof to make it a real coupe, aluminum Buick 215 with 300 heads and crank, rear end, etc. The car has what appears to be a factory cowl vent on the passenger side, operated by an intact (albeit rusty) pull knob under the dash. I've heard this is an indicator of an early car - but I've yet to come across even a picture of another 28' with the same vent.

Bad picture, I know - I can take better ones later.

[​IMG]

What do you know?!

Thanks.

2. Never seen one but that don't mean it ain't real

3. One Finger John

One Finger John

Is the car really channeled or is the engine mounted too high?

4. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Its just a body with an engine on a stand in front of it - not even quite a mock up yet. I just like to arrange the parts in a car-like arrangement... maybe in hopes to inspire to me buy more parts and spend some time with it.

5. One Finger John

One Finger John

Just pullin' your leg.

6. Seen a vent on a 28-29 leather back 4dr. It was on the left.

7. 117harv

117harv

A friend has a 31 A truck cab with small square vents on each side of the cowl a.k.a. crotch coolers and they appear to be factory.

8. Try posting in the Model A section of fordbarn.com. I can't put my finger on it but they are real. If I remember they were early and used only on some models but don't trust my memory.

Charlie Stephens

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I was told they were an add on deal

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They were an add on accessory, seen an old add for several differebnt styles at one time.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

They could be ordered through Ford in most years. All sorts of weird stuff could be had. At one time years ago, I was looking at a '29 coupe with a golf bag door in the quarter panel on the left. Never saw another one of those either...

12. its an aftermarket thing
    they can still be had today through different venders
    tk

13. Freddie (Memphis)

Freddie (Memphis)

Sorry to disagree here...since I'm still an FNG over here. Not so new on the Model A boards, though...been there since inception.

Your factory cowl vents were standard on a '28 60-A Model A. I own a '29 60-B Briggs Leatherback...seen in my avatar. Unfortunately, the side cowl vents were only on 60-A's...not on 60-B's, nor C's, so mine doesn't have them. Most of those cars were referred to as "blindbacks" as there was only two windows on the side...on the front and rear doors. There was no quarter window in the rear side of the top, and there was a very small rear window in the middle of the rear roof section.

There's some pictures of 60-A's around on the internet...lemme see what I can find and I'll post a link if you'd like...

14. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Interesting...

Here's a closer picture. It sure looks factory to my eyes, but hard to tell I suppose when its all so old.

[​IMG]

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have seen cowl on a 30/31 leatherback sedan once (but have not seen many leather back sedans the car looked stock. (gas tank was under the rear seat I believe)

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to hijack, but such as who? I'm looking for something like that for a project I'm doing..