Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I love the chassis! hope to see more updates soon!!

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Depending on what happens with my visit to the hip replacement surgeon when I finally get to see him, updates will be slow in coming.

I do have a bit of news though. You may have seen elsewhere that I have purchased Tim Mcmasters (mctim64) latest Y block engine he built for sale, a healthy 309 cubic incher, a 292 block 30 over with a 312 crank and big valve ECZ-G ported heads etc.
    Will be getting it soon.

I'll have him spray it washington blue for me as that will be the color of the body and frame. All the rest of the trim and various other parts will be silver or chrome.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Nice! I hate blue in general but for some reason Washington blue is the cats meow! The engine will be a nice addition to the T... Good luck with them hips!!

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well here's an update, I decided that the roadster needs finishing, and that I had one too many projects.

So I advertised my 36 Tudor Humpback sedan that I had bought last year ( A finished 70s street rod that I had intended to update) and it was sold in less than a week. At a profit even :)

Then I started selling off all of the update parts that I have been gathering for it. The new 290HP GM 350 crate motor still in the crate went off to a new home yesterday.

The new TCI chassis sold in less than a week :) All parts sold for more than I initially paid for them too :cool:

So, now I have the funds (and space, my garage was so crowded I had to go outside to change my mind :D ) to devote to the roadster.

Pending what happens with my hip replacement of course I want to get this car done as soon as I can.

The new Y Block will be here soon and the C4 trans is going out to be built this weekend.

From there I will be at it as much as possible so I'll update when there is more to tell :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. Nice build great metal work.

Frenchy

6. We need some update on your build.

Thanks
    Frenchy

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here is a shot of my new Y Block built by Tim McMaster and my C4 is almost done as well.

The Y Block will wear Edelbrock Script valve covers and an Edelbrock 573 with 94s.

Have my consultation with the hip replacement surgeon on July 20th so we shall see from there :D

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Thank you for the quick reply looks great.

Frenchy

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Good luck on the hip replacement...

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Small update, I started mocking up the bed sides. I had intended to roll a bead into the sides but now I am thinking that since the box is so small I will just leave the sides smooth.

I have seen that done and it looks good.

Overall length of the box is 33" and I am using a reproduction Model A tailgate that will be narrowed 4". The box will be regular depth (13").

I will also fabricate the usual skirt for the bottom of the box and will also bend up a metal inside box bottom similar to a modern truck bed, no wood for this one.

A picture with poster board, wire and tape :)

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Great thread Larry! I only just found it and I've been mentioned in it several times. :eek: Hope you have a safe trip home and you enjoy your new engine.

For all you others out there that didn't know Larry just did a "bonzi" trip down to my place to pick up his Y-Block. Guess he want to be sure it was shipped correctly. :D

[​IMG]

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks Tim, It was a pleasure meeting you and I had a great road trip. Banzai is a good term.

Visalia California to Edmonton in 2 days with a big crate in the back :)

With all that being said I still had a very good time and the new engine is home.

Funny, no issues at the border, they didn't even want to look in the crate,they spent a half hour going through everything else, for all they knew I had a 3' square brick of cocaine or something in the crate :D

They seemed more interested in looking at my underwear :rolleyes:

Cost me $168 in tax at the border. :)

Thanks again Tim, I'll post pictures later.

Larry.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Glad to hear you made it OK! Too bad you missed out on the chop though. :D

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Havn't looked in for a while buts looking great, love the new engine, Y motors are one of my favourites and Washington blue is just the icing on the cake.

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

17. Did you have to narrow the axle housing or are they the original length.

Frenchy

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The axle is a stock width 8" Ford from a Maverick car. It's the narrowest 8" Ford axle made at 56.5 " wide.

19. Thank You for posting I like your project it will be cool when done.

Frenchy

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well I have decided that there is just no way the bench seat is going to sit me low enough so I got in touch with Frank Wallic.

I've ordered up a pair of his bomber seats :D They are pretty nice.

Attached Files:

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Went out and chopped 1 1/4" out of the height of my A shell. Broke out the Tig and welded it back together.

I think it looks good to me. Tape and string are handy :)

Now I can order the new Griffin aluminum model a rad which will be 21.5" tall overall height.

Short as it sits right over top of the spring crossmember.

Also picked up the Classic Instruments hot rod series gauges for the dash, 5" speedometer and tach etc. :)

Attached Files:

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Bolted the newly rebuilt C4 back onto the old mockup 312 and slid it all back into place in the chassis.

First I went back to the front and installed a new multi leaf spring in place of the mono leaf. Then I modified the crossmember, just trimmed off the spring retaining plate I had installed ,and went back to a traditional U bolt and plate arrangement to hold the spring.

Since I had built the front crossmember about 1/4" wider than a usual crossmember for spring clearance, I had to cut and widen and Tig weld the u bolts and bottom plate as well.

It's all good and I feel better about the multi leaf spring and the U bolt arrangement.

Now I can move on with the hundred other things to do.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. t-rod

t-rod

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Bought the metal and spent part of the day messing with the brake.

The parts are already looking like a box :)

Repro tailgate will be narrowed 4".

Stay tuned :)

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. I like what you are doing! Keep the updates coming.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Update time. :) You saw the pieces of metal I bent up. I used 18 gauge and the bed is 34" long total length. The bed is 12" deep. The width inside, side to side is 36 3/4".

I used the repro tailgate (Model A) and the rear curved stamped piece that it mounts to. The rest I fabricated.

I narrowed the tailgate 4" to make the bed fit better to the scale of my T body.

The top of the rails was done with 1 1/4" x 1/8" tubing welded and ground smooth.

Enjoy the pictures , you are looking at 7 days of fabrication averaging 6-9 hour days.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Some more pictures including the finished bed and an overall shot. :)

The 26 is now officially an RPU. :)

I will fabricate a stainless gas tank for the front portion of the bed and will still be left with a little space for whatever :)

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  28. Hi and what a great T build, a credit to you and very inspiring. Cheers, JW

29. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice job Blue