Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW MERCH!!!!!!

Hey guys... It's that time of the year again and we are introducing some new shirts in the Jalopy Journal store - including our first ever pocket shirt! So, if you are in the need for some new threads go here:
    The Jalopy Journal Store
    Dismiss Notice

Projects '26 Model T build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xrw urabus, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

This is not a big, fun to look at update because it's not anything major... Just more little non photogenic tasks.... But work is getting done on her. one small piece at a time.
    We've been kicking around Ideas for a auxiliary Transmission mount for a long time. We put in a temporary mount awhile ago. The more i think about it the more I don't like it. So If I'm going to have to drop the rear end and pull the Aux Trans anyway I should replace the flat bar and u-bolt setup we have now with a proper mount. I measured up the drop to get the mount under the aux trans and added 1" to it for a rubber / poly bump stop. Then drew it up in cad. (this is only 1/2 of the mount the other side is mirrored on the center line)
    [​IMG]
    But turning a piece of 1 1/2" x 3/16" into that isn't as easy as it sounds.

I got this far with a torch and a bit of light gauge rail track.
    [​IMG]
    But I can't get the radius quite tight enough.
    In the corner of my folks barn was a rusty chunk of steel .... A proper anvil that hasn't been used much in a long time. When I dug it up out of the dirt floor. The whole thing was pitted (the top and the horn looked like the sides!) and under a bunch of rust (use your imagination because someone didn't think to snap a pic of it before). It also didn't have a proper stand. So after a couple hours with the grinder and an hour with the router. I came up with this.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully now I can get the bends tighter. The goal is to use the 3 pieces 3/16" stock to create a u shape with the curve from the drawing. That means I need to make 6 of those bends pretty much exactly the same. Other than the few bits of heating and beating things into shape I've done on this car I've never tried any "black smithing", so this should be interesting.

I've also been working on bending up a custom throttle linkage for the Carter carb out of some 3/16" steel round bar. I thought I was done but I need another 3/4" of travel to be at WOT. So I get to start over on that. This time I'm going to go through the block (there's a passage there for the throttle). Then go up and over the headers to the carb. This should clear well enough to get the extra 3/4" needed. I don't have photos of the current linkage because I ran it Through the headers and you can't really see much of it.

Till next Time,
    CBB

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Jet96 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  2. 46stude

46stude

Now that's an anvil!

3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Any forward progress is worth bragging about!!
    Nice job on the anvil. I can't wait to see how this turns out

Bobby

4. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

This weekend I dodged raindrops tore off my patio roof and got to pound some steel.
    The rain chased me away as I have to run the furnace outside to heat up the steel. Before I had to shutdown I got on side of the bracket 3/4 of the way done and started on the second side of the bracket. Getting the 2 sides to match is taking a bit of work. But I think we're getting there. The proper anvil makes things go so much faster. What took 4 hours before was done in 30 mins this time.
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure a "real" blacksmith could knock this whole thing out in an hour but I'm not a "real" blacksmith I'm just a 200+ pound gorilla with a hammer.
    This weekend I have some help coming to put the patio roof back on. Hopefully I will get some more rain free time to finish this up so I can get this bracket welded together.

CBB

OFT and Thommyknocker like this.
  5. Doc Wright

Doc Wright

CBB, your build is very possibly the greatest inspiration I've seen! Thank you for you presentation of ingenuity and craftsmanship!