Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26-27 T rp info please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pist-n-Broke, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Working on a 27 Roadster Pick-up. I had to rebuild the back half of sub frame. On the outer wall of the sub frame there are 2, 5/16" holes that the lower rear fenders bolts go in. I need to know the exact space between those 2 holes. My guess would be the sub rails and bolt holes are not specific to Roadster Pick up. Could be wrong. Who can give me some numbers to work with? My forward stock hole is still in place, repairs were behind it so I have a good start place. Just need the space between the two. Thanks in advance.
    The Wizzard

2. Here you go. JW
    [​IMG]

falcongeorge and F&J like this.
  3. Hope it was clear that the measurements are all from the back or top of sub frame. The RPU sub frame is the same as the Roadster. JW

4. Those are grate numbers JW. Top down is good. My big problem and why I asked for center to center is that I haven't yet repaired the rear cross member. Also it may not end up exactly where the Factory unit was. Here are some photos of what I am working with. 20161027_164900.jpg 20161027_164911.jpg
    With what you already posted and if you could now give me a center to center that would be excellent. Once the rear fenders are mounted I can move on to hanging the running board brackets.
    Here is a little shot of the actual project. Thanks again for your help.
    20161027_085512.jpg
    The Wizzard

5. Vertical lines through both holes are 3''. Happy to get more details if needed. :) JW

6. JW, I can see now I didn't make myself clear. Here is a photo of the repair I had to make. The new section is the shiny Black part. Notice the hole ahead of the tire just above the radieus rod.
    20161027_183337.jpg
    Now that hole has a bolt in it from the inside out.
    20161027_183402.jpg
    That hole is a fender mount hole and if you look at the shiny paint behind the wheel there are No holes at all. Also the rear cross member is not fastened to it. I need to drill the 2 holes you posted for me correctly. If you can give me the space between my existing hole and your forward hole in your photos I can get there. It should be around 26-27 inches. Sorry I wasn't clearer at first.
    The Wizzard

7. That will be 20 1/2''. JW

8. I'll be back in the Shop after dinner and take a run at it. Thanks for all your help JW.
    The Wizzard

9. Well 20-1/2" don't seem to work for me. Maybe JW's sub rails were modified at one time. Heck, clearly mine were Butchered. I'm trying to get back to Stock fender mount holes. Here is another photo of what I'm working on.
    20161102_092626.jpg
    As you can see with a tape hooked to a 5/16 bolt in the forward fender mount hole 20-1/2" is well behind the rear wheel. I'm still guessing I'm looking for a number around 26-27 inches.
    The Wizzard

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Do you have a fender and bracket? My take would be to mock it up and take the measurement with the set of fender and bracket lined up at front, then mark at the rear.
    Voice of experience is echoing from past error: Drilled some holes to get ready for fenders coming...then when they arrived: "Surprise!"

11. I now have the body off the chassis, will have another look. My sub frame is standard. JW

12. Not to derail your thread, but I'm trying to figure out where the rear axle should end up on my '31 chassis/'27 roadster that's missing it's turtledeck. What's the dimension from that bolt to the center line of the rear axle? Looks to be around 16.5" but hard to tell from that angle. I'm pretty sure my subframe has the same holes in it...

13. 26 1/4''. The piece of body work that extends out back over the sub frame on mine is longer on mine and covered the front hole, I measured from the 1/4'' hole further back which you can also use to double check.
    Desmo, mine is 14 1/4'', wish you had asked before I took the body off.:rolleyes: JW

14. This is what put me wrong, the front 5/16'' hole is behind the blue bit, just adove the bottom bolt. The 1/4'' hole was the only front one I could see. JW
    [​IMG]

15. And the overall view, the C notch (by a previous owner) is about to be filled. JW
    [​IMG]

16. Thanks again JW. I can see how that happened.
    DesmoDog; look at the last photo I posted. At the 16" mark there is a 1/2" factory hole in the sub frame. That is true rear Axle center line. On the stock Model T frame as on the Model A frame there are body mount holes on center on the out board ends of the rear Cross Members. Mounting your T body at that point first will position your rear tire center of your T rear fender. When doing that and due to the Model A wheel base being longer than the T it brings other issues into the picture. My chassis is all Model A running gear and as of now runs and drives. A's and T's are NOT apples to apples by any means. For now I'm going to mount my rear fenders and get ready to lengthen my running boards and splash aprons or possibly work on my front fenders instead. Not for sure which but something needs to get stretched. Also the A fan to stock Rad brings an issue, and on and on and on.
    The Wizzard

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. This is the best shot I have of the side view of mine. JW
    [​IMG]

18. Looks like your just about ready to start having some fun.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  19. Had 7 good months of fun in it while testing it out, nothing feel off or broke but our laws are strict so now fixing a lot of the previous owners shit and dodgy work. Really looking forward to it being done and legal. I have a build tread on ''The Hot Rod Model T Group''. JW

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016