Register now to get rid of these ads!

26/27 T Body Dimensions Question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Hueso, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Right now I have a 27 Model T roadster pickup cab. The plan was to build a pickup. Now I am getting the desire to build a roadster car. I know of where a T coupe body is with good quarters and rear deck section.
    Now the question is are the coupe body dimensions(mainly the cab and rear) any different from a roadster? Can one take the back section off of a coupe and mate it to a roadster and porportionatly it wouldn't look too awkward? I know there would be a relative amount of cutting and welding to make this work. Let me know what you think. Thanks...
    Wesley

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

they are different all together. the coupe rear is going to be too wide for a roadster cowl, unless you narrow the rear. And the coupe quarters are going to be too tall for the roadster cowl. The firewall is the same exact firewall, but the coupe cowl flares out to the A pillars.

You could build a cool roadster out of the coupe like Von Franco's gold roadster, that's what he did, cut off the top and welded it all up.

I'd build the T coupe, then turn around and build a roadster too...

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

like chad said....not gona work straight outa the bag

im sure you could cut and shop and make something look good though

look through old books for pictures of dry lakes and track roadster and you'l see how muchthey modified the 1/4's on these roadsters...
    if you built something to that style you wouldnt have to be dead on to fords original dimensions...just get the proportions right

good luck
    Zach

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yea SUHRsc, your right... cause the coupe body is a lot longer in the cab area than a roadster... I think it would have to be shortened a bit or it wouldn't look right...

5. Thanks for the replies. From the sounds of it I don't think it would be worth all the work making that cab into a roadster car. I think I will stick to building a rpu. As for that coupe body the front half is pretty rusty in the bottom. I think I will stick with the pickup for now. Thanks again for the advice...
    Wesley

6. I always thought of building a late 50s, early 60s styled roadster out of that coupe much like von franco's. I remember seeing it on that Junior Brown album cover for "Down Home Chrome." Rockin' album. "Red-Rivi-Airhead!"

7. 27 RPUs and roadsters share the same front half. The 27 roadster 1/4s will bolt on, just find some.