Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26/27 New build by an old guy..More progress!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Sep 3, 2016.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1024.JPG My version of the watts link installation.....looks close to the ground in the pic but its not.

2. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1025.JPG Got my trans today...looks pretty good. Put the top on my borrowed case and bent the lever so it would work with my body.

brEad likes this.
  3. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1035.JPG I nailed a fifties pickup transmission last week.. It is in really good shape. I have to find a slip yolk for it. I lowered the crossmember over the pinion...looks better...gives me 4 1/2 in over the top of the pinion housing.

26 T Ford RPU and JOYFLEA like this.
  4. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1043.JPG Brake and clutch pedals installed. I modified a set of 35/36 pedals to do the job and remain period correct. I had to change the tab to the bottom of the pedal to get it work towards the back. Where to put the return springs? Have to bend them to get 'em lined up properly. Broke period protocol for safety sake and chose a '68 Mustang master cylinder for the manual drum/drum brakes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Okie Pete and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  5. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1040.JPG One O'clock, time to leave the sandbox and dream up some more for tomorrow. Bet most of us have burnt midnight oil...glad I'm retired and can sleep later tomorrow.

6. I have used the same Master Cylinder on my T. JW

7. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1051.JPG Got my rear shocks figured out.....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1054.JPG Made some floor boards so I can figure out trans and driveshaft tunnels...

9. The sweet smell of progress. JW

brEad likes this.
  10. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1077.JPG Got my brake/clutch pedal hooked up... I didn't like the size of the early Ford trans mount so my son and I came up with one that will allow for a narrower trans tunnel and more foot room. Had a driveshaft made. My driveshaft tunnel will cover the shaft and be open to the road on the bottom. I can still remove the driveshaft with the body subframe crossmembers in place. All is going slowly but well so far.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Okie Pete, tomkelly88, brEad and 2 others like this.
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing...nice build...

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Lookin' good, man.

13. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Almost disaster......I forgot that the rear pinion yoke is a little bit more forward when the locating pin is in it.....lost my clearance because I didn't allow for it when I measured for the driveshaft. Fortunately, I was able to shorten the trans slip yoke by 3/4" to get my 1" clearence back. Whew! I would have had to have the drivshaft shortened and it already cost me $256 for fabrication. Guess when you hit 78 you have to think a little harder.

JOYFLEA, brEad and OFT like this.
  14. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Had a driveshaft tunnel fabricated. My sin has volunteered to fabricate the tansmission tunnel. IMG_1082.JPG

15. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Decided to go with Lokar emergency brake parts an hook it to the crossmember. IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1087.JPG

16. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I had to settle for tube shocks instead of lever. So I am combining the headlight bracket to hold the top of the shocks, brake hose, and headlight. Bottom of the shocks will bolt to a shackle with shock stud. Gotta find a decent set of vintage headlights now. IMG_1097.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  17. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Headlight brackets tacked to the frame. Brake hoses attach to them. IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1101.JPG

26 T Ford RPU and brEad like this.
  18. Do you still get lock to lock with those hoses pointing out front, looks a tad tight. JW

19. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, thats why I had to mount the other ends on the headlamp brackets because it's a T width frame. I can go stop to stop without the stop nuts installed.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  20. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I got my shock hardware today......worked out fine. IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1103.JPG

AndersF, 26 T Ford RPU and JOYFLEA like this.
  21. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1109.JPG Received my '26 Model T steering wheel. I shortened the shaft and I used an adapter which fits the Ford shaft and T wheel. I turned a bushing to press into the coumn tube. I may put a button in the brass nut that goes with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    kidcampbell71, AndersF and JOYFLEA like this.
  22. Your doing great work Phil ! I'll be watching because it keeps me inspired. Blue

23. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Really enjoying this thread! Detailed pictures and good explanations of why choices are made. Perfect thread for learning. Thank you.

24. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Have not done much on the project lately because Ive been on my annual Canadian fly-in fishing trip with the guys for the last three weeks. I did however buy some guide headlights. I also decided to drop the wire wheels in favor of some 16" smoothies with discs. I like the look of the picture below better,(of course my body is much lower). I'm gonna use port-a-walls because they were very popular during this period. I bought some 16x4 1/2 wheels for the front and 16x6 wheels for the rears. Think I'm gonna use 600-16 on the front and 750-16 on the rear. IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1110.JPG

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  25. Ya gotta go with what you want on your car.:cool::) JW

26. hotcargo

hotcargo

lookin' good ........luv what ya doin'

cheers Steve in Oz

27. Looks awesome, nice build, your only as old as you feel. Keep up the good work !

28. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Got wheels and tires. Busted the budget for this month. Looks like I am gonna have to use 1.5" spacers on the rear wheels with the 750-16's. I'll put the Portawalls on later.
    IMG_1125.JPG

brEad, JOYFLEA and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1135.JPG Sometimes yer hobbies compete for room....