Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found: The Tear Drop Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. What a fantastic piece of work. It have taking alot of craftmansship to build this
    I love it! Looking foreward to see more!

Klaus

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

That's prety neat. My first instinct when I saw the lead photo was to wonder where the front clip was ... For the year, that was innovative as hell...

4. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

Yup, saw that on egay, too bad it was so far away from me.

Good grab!

5. mcload

mcload

Cooool project there, Geoff!

I remember calling in all of my favors by having about a dozen guys over to help with the initial lift the Venus body off of the chassis. Turned out that all it would have taken is four of us, but at the time, I didn't know what to expect (I was also fearful of it simply cracking in half like an egg!). I passed out Sharpies (magic markers) and had everyone sign it. One of them read "Good luck Patrick...better you than me!"

So along those lines, I think you out to have a kegger and pass out the Sharpies! (Sorry, but I won't be able to make it!)

Best of luck my friend, and don't hesitate to call if I can help from this side of the Mississippi! By the way, what does it read on the door?

Patrick

6. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

It takes a few minutes to be able to wrap your mind around what your eyes are seeing.Wow! Cool!They totally misplaced whatever box they were thinking out of.:D

7. That thing is Great! Looks a little like a Tatra. Keep us updated on the progress. Really can't wait.

—MRAK

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man... and you said an Avanti was ugly. :D

That is one odd piece.. but it is sheer Americana in every way. Very cool.

9. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Wow. Simply amazing. Although it looks to have some bits on it that are certainly post '35... possibly 1935 is the year it was started? It's a little Tatra like from the back. Very nice acquisition. I admire brave lunacy! :D
    [​IMG]

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Makes the Oscar Mayer weinermobile look good......:eek:

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

Definetly impressive, I wonder if it feels like driving a cabover delivery truck with the front axle behind you? Kool as all get out, be even cooler when he gets it going.

12. alchemy

alchemy

1933 or 34 Ford frame and wishbone. Trans looks same year too. But the steering wheel is later 40's, and rear bumper is early 50's. But they could have been changed later.

13. Very cool glimpse of what folks back then thought the future would look like................man would they be disappointed now!

14. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Early example of cab forward design!

15. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

No shit! Too cool.

16. Ebay? what the hell would you search to find that, damn, I want one!

17. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Prolly under "ugly"!

That thing was way ahead of its time tho, thats for sure.

18. Offy

Offy

That's the statement that I was trying to conger up, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I like how they "recycled" the rear '34 spreaderbar to become the top trans mount. I bet there's tons of little quirks like that to find. Very interesting car.

20. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Weird. Don't know anything else to say. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

21. Certainly an interesting find - hope we hear more about the original owner/builder and what inspired and motivated them to accomplish such a unique build. Perhaps trying to sell the idea to Ford or others?

22. the-rodster

the-rodster

Crazy looking.

Is the thing on the back for the radiator/cooling?

I wonder how you shift gears?

Rich

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

There was a model of a very similar car on Antiques Roadshow. It was a model used by the company to drum up support, but they actually made 1-2 of the cars and drove them cross-country, but the concept never took off. I think it was around 35-37

24. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Hard to believe this thing survived. Very cool find. Keep the HAMB posted.

25. mcload

mcload

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My first thought is "Now what?" Is the thrill of the chase over, or is there stainless trim, etc....... to go find?
    That thing is an amazing work of art. I think its cool as hell! I definetly want to see pics of it as work progresses!

Congrats to you Geoff, nice score!

27. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

After reading posts to this thread, I am surprised to see that some think it's ugly. Beauty truely is in the eye of the beholder. I can't help but to see this machine and try to think back to an era of streamlined trains and the evolving cab overs and art deco skyscrapers... A time when the future was laying itself out at their feet. This car is as much a work of art as it was intended for transportation. It would look well at home in a Robert LaDuke painting.

Attached Files:

28. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I am wondering the same thing?!? that is a really neat automobile. its like a rolling piece of art deco!! please keep us informed on the updates and please more pics and history!!!

29. Steve 38

Steve 38

Wow, I absolutely love it! The front kinda reminds me of the '54 M-B Renntransporter, although it appeared a full 20 years before that was created.

Attached Files: