Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 with th350 transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tony von chevy, Oct 22, 2008.

1. tony von chevy

tony von chevy

has anyone had any expierence swithcing the manual transmission to an automatic... i was gonna keep my floor shift the way it was setup but this morning when i was out driving, the gears got stuck like it does every once in a while, i go to shift and the whole damn housing case for the gears cracked off, so now i am just gonna change to automatic but need to figure out what to do and what i need.

2. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I would stick with a manual. Those 235 don't have a ton of power, even hot ones, so why lose more power. You can probably switch to a better 4 speed and call it good.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the t5 swap is cheaper and easy. Either way, a new driveshaft will likely be necessary. I can personally recommend the 5 speed.

Have you ever driven an automatic 4 cylinder ranger or s10? you'll have that kind of sluggish with a th350 behind a 110 hp six. the stick helps out a little to reduce driveline loss.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

what year 235 and year of car? 49-54 Chevy cars had torque tube drive lines, gonna be alot o' money to switch over. Tend to disagree with th350 behind a six, had one behind a 3.8V6 and was a fast car (78 Skyhawk), but then again might not weigh as much as your car does. Also you are looking at an adapter to mate the th350 to the stovebolt 6, and they're not cheeeep!