Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 split exhast pipe size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I'm going to be running split exhaust on a stock 235. I'm going to try it first without mufflers. I figure 1 3/4" will be the size pipe to use for a little back pressure. Anyone with thoughts or experience here?

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

Two 1-1/2" pipes on a stock 235 would be enough without restricting flow.
    Dual carbs and the later stock cams breath better at higher rpm and 1-3/4" pipes are plenty without creating backpressure.
    I have 2" pipes on my late 235, because I like the somewhat lower exhaust note.

Smaller diameter gives better low rpm response, wider diameter flows better at higher rpm.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I have 2" pipes on mine with no mufflers and I love the sound. Seems to breathe easier as well.

4. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

I've got 1 3/4" pipes on mine with glasspacks and it wraps like a mofo. 2" would be fine too.

5. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

I run dual 2" pipes through thrush turbos on my Falcon with a modified Tri-power 200. But it is sized for a performance engine. I would'nt go bigger than 1 3/4" on a stocker , here is a good chart to go by for a performance engine. http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp . Cliffords recommendation for duals on a 200 cube performance street engine is 1 7/8"

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  6. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Any of the above will work fine - 1 1/2 will give you a nice crackly bark - I usually leave out the muffler, but on longer drives this can get annoying ;-)

7. Curt B

Curt B

The local exhaust shop suggested 2" pipes with Dynomax turbo mufflers. I would do the same thing over again.

Attached Files:

8. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I 've got a stock 235/PG setup...thinking baout using smitty's, anyone use these? Whats your setup...I think I want more of a lower rumble sound...

9. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I had 1 3/4 on the 55 wagon split through glass packs and out each corner---hated it. Installed a 2 chamber flowmaster after the glass pack and then it was too quiet. When you split the tips away from each other they crackle, as you bring them closer together they play off each other ( just off center rt and lf out the back). On the 50 Burb, I split the exhaust then ran 2.5 20" back to a Y and then single 2.5 to a 3 chamber magna flow and out at the corner. Sounds like a throaty v8, but different. Heres a clip on in inliner with the same exhaust set up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3NU7n3kOWe8

10. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.