Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 RPM Sweet Spot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bishop327, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bishop327

bishop327
    from CO

What is the ideal RPM that a 235 likes for MPG / Performance on Highway?
    Hey everyone... been doing research on this topic but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Here is what we are looking at:
    1955 Chevy 1/2 ton. Second Series. 235, dual carters in, fentons out. T-5 OD .72. rear end S-10 3.73. I haven't driven it with this configuration yet. Getting ready to set tire heights and start test driving. SO...
    What is the sweet spot for the RPM's on a 235 for Highway use? I do a 12 mile trip into town, Frontage road for 7 miles, and Interstate through the canyon for 5 miles. I want decent mileage and good pep (yeah, what else is new?).
    I have been using the tire size and RPM calculators on the interwhozit, but would like to know what to aim for. Currently it looks like I will be at about 2000rpm at 65 mph. Will this be a dog? If I need to, now would be the time to change the rear end gears. (Short history: currently I am running a '54 210 w/ rebuilt 235 w/ 848 head, 1 leaky rochester, fentons, 3-speed. I get 17 mpg. Hope to do better with the OD on the 55.)
    Thanks for your help.
    Build 'Em to Drive 'Em.

2. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

This a tuff 1 it will change from engine to engine but look for 60% to 70% of the max Torque rpm