Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 piston ring install sequence

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Nov 27, 2010.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Ok I got some new rings for my 235 engine. Rings and pistons are .040. The new rings are a little different then the old rings. I have one ring that has no bevel and one ring with an inside bevel. I know the bevel goes in with it facing up as long as theres no dots on it but does this ring go on top or in the second groove? the original rings didnt have bevels but the second ring was a little smaller with a spring type deal between the ring and the piston. The oil ring matches the original.

2. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Tough call. Who made the rings, can you contact them? I'm sure someone here will think differently but I would put the one with the bevel in the second groove. The old second ring with the "spring" was an expander for that ring to help seat it. Usually fine those "springs" in engines that have been rebuilt before.

3. Generally the lower compression ring has the bevel which is placed upward, the top comp ring has no bevel at all. As 57Custom300 said it would be best to call the manufacturer.

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

Bevel goes up unless there's a dot by the ring gap,then in any case,the dot goes.But check online or call the ring manufacturer to be sure.

5. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I would call but hasting has been closed for a few days for the holiday. I was thinking the bevel went in the second groove too. I'm just gonna run with that and call to confirm if I screwed up on monday.