Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 headers & intake manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magsnubby, May 11, 2009.

1. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

2. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Anyone? There's got to be some stovebolt guys out there.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, Clifford is it for 4 bbl intakes for early Chevy sixes. Wayne made one for the stock head fiftysome years ago, but I doubt that you'll ever see one.

4. Mockie

Mockie

never used the tube headers, I'm using Fenton cast headers. Heard the tube headers sound real tinny but never heard em myself.

5. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I run the cast Fentons on my 51. No problems in 3 years and for the little bit extra money it's worth it to me.

6. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

7. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

I run (repro) fenton cast iron headers and a original fenton intake, and 18" glasspacks.

8. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

My boy has the ones from Speedway. They do sound tinny and can't seem to get them not to leak.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The Clifford 4 bbl 235 intake I've got has a provision for a heat plate on the underside of the manifold that you could easily make a steel plate for and run heat tubes to from a pair of Fentons.

10. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

From my experience the Clifford will work best in the upper rpm range. For a street car, I think the Offy., would be a better choice do to the smaller runner size. This would be true for any carbs used.
    My .02$

11. Snarl

Snarl

I recently bought a set of the plain tube headers from Speedway. They interfered with old Edelbrock and Fenton 2x1 intakes that I had, and would need a little "adjustment" to make work. For this reason, I would stay away from the coated versions and get either the plain ones, or the stainless ones. If you try to hammer on the coated ones you'll ruin the coating...

Clifford has made a couple different 4bbl intakes for the 235 over the years. The earlier ones do not have provision for water heat.

12. Snarl

Snarl

Sounds like you are talking about the 250/292 type motors, as Offy didn't make a 4bbl intake for the 235.

13. Keith English

Keith English

couldn't agree more, got them on my 53. I started to go with the tube style but when't for the fentons instead and they are great.

14. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

That's the setup the muffler guy recommended. How does it sound? I'm looking for more of a mellow sound, not a lot of drone, and maybe just a little back rap.

That's what i wanted to know.

It's a cruiser that i can haul the grandkids around in so i'm more interested in a nice mellow tone. It'll be insulated with Fatmat.

15. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Does the Fenton headers use the stock bolts or do they need after market bolts?

16. Snarl

Snarl

if you are referring to the stock clamps, yes they will still work. I did have to trim one of them a little shorter because of the Offy intake, though.

Be prepared to spend time mocking these things up. It's not as "bolt on" as you think...

17. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I'm not sure there is such an animal.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  18. mobilemechanic

mobilemechanic
    from rialto ca

The headers are down right garbage. I installed a set for a client and wanted to toss them in the trash.first they are Hard to make to the block second they leak badly had to use double gasgasket.then the flanges that connect the down pipes are in such an awkward position that tightened them up takes two people to do the back one.run fenton headers and youll be happier.