Register now to get rid of these ads!

230V outlet in the garage..how much did it Run....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evel, Apr 30, 2004.

1. stolenmojo

stolenmojo

why don't you just have miss caliente build it in the nude, we'll call it "just for laughs" and sales will skyrocket. i should have been in marketing, need any help?

looking forward to #2 you f**cker.

brandon

2. most of the time (if not all) when you have a double throw breaker it's 220v, there's 2 wires going to it (black and white) both wires carry 110v each and the green is going to the neutral bar (ground). should be able to wire up a welder plug and go. 30 amps is good for a mig, i wouldn't jump to much higher (maybe 35-40 max) because of the wire gauge is smaller and you don't want to overheat it. you can get the welder plug from home depot.

3. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I had to go to an electrical supply to get the pluggin for my new welder. It is a Lincoln and the Depot just did'nt have that particular plug.

Looks like all you will need is a new plug.

4. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Evel, if your main panel has 220/230 volts comming in, there should be three (heavy) wires comming from the service pole. (or underground depending on the kind of service entrance you have)

Your first picture seems to show that someone wired the breaker (and out to the plug) WRONG. If there was to be a 220/230 volt service out to the plug, then the wire colors should be BLACK on one side of the circuit breaker and RED on the other. The WHITE wire is neutral which in any electrical code MUST be present at the outlet. The GREEN wire is ground and also MUST be present at the outlet. Total of four wires.

Your electrical code might be different than mine and allow just three,- BLACK, RED and GREEN for 220 service.

If you test that plug (female) and find 220 volts across the two pins (parallel ones) TAKE THE THING OFF ! It's not the right one! It's an accident waiting to happen!

Welding shops usually have the correct receptical. Some welders use both 110 and 220, (110 for the fan) and need a FOUR PRONG RECEPTICAL. (and FOUR WIRES) Check this out BEFORE you use it.

Also, the further away from the panel your welder outlet will be, the LARGER the gauge of wire you will need to run. Mine's about 50 feet from the main panel, and I have #8 gauge that is run in conduit underground to the shop.