Register now to get rid of these ads!

216 Six Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by camshaftchris, Apr 21, 2009.

1. camshaftchris

camshaftchris
    from appleton

Can anyone tell me if a 350 Chevy motor will bolt up to the original 3 speed tranny in my '50 chevy? I like the six but I want the eight sound and highway piece of mind.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

its not the engine's fault (enitirely) you are slow on the highway. I ran a t5 behind my 235 with a 55 chevy rearend. do a search. even if you could get it to fit, a 350 would shatter the stock transmission.

4. I wouldn't even trust the later model "open" drive trannies (55-62) behind a mild V8.
    It's a bad idea- look at the physical size of a Stovebolt transmission- then even a 3 speed from the 70's... you'll get the idea.

JK

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are adaptors out there somewhere. I've seen one at a local swap meet a couple times. I'm thinking they don't make them any more but you never know.

as for the trans taking the power.... just drive easy. you'll still be screaming on the freeway with the 4.11 gears

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Yes. There's even the right adapter on that auction site we all know and love at the moment; look under "transmission adapter". BUT, the trans won't last any time at all if you don't absolutely baby it. And, I have the exact same complete adapter setup I was going to use to put a 250 six into my 51 Business Coupe. May still use it, but my nephew wants to go V-8/auto and open driveline. Butch/56sedandelivery.