Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2023 AMBR Award Contenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Yes, we can nitpick almost all of them but overall, they are all pretty nice rides. I am thinking back to some of the modern street rod crap that competed and won in the 80s and 90s and this whole field is almost a breath of fresh air.

2. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

Absolutely love it!….. car is bad ass and classy all rolled up nicely together

Attached Files:

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was under the impression that they were subject to approval upon arrival, but I do not know that for certain

Blues4U and Tim like this.
  4. I believe that's based on the use of a lot of early Porsche parts, including the wheels. :confused:
    (Never been a fan of building a non hot rod 'theme' or 'tributes' into an early Ford. You know, aircraft, helicopters, locomotives, submarines and Porsches.)

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the one that turns it's self into the back ground for a "rim" add. A turn off for us wheel wise but all you see is wheels and tires with a red background. Then you all the sudden realize that there is a very simple but nifty 32 roadster behind those rims. They overpower the car rather than being a working part of the total look.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as the criteria for entering the car for the AMBR award. Documentation that it has never been shown in competition in it's present form ( for lack of a more proper term) Is the biggy outside off it fitting the criteria of the class. I'm thinking that every entrant in the class has to be submitted for that class long before the show though.

Screenshot (1047).png

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  7. Students voted
    0E6EBA06-FBED-41AE-87D1-AAA079A38575.jpeg
    critiques from young folks on the contestants was interesting as were the things they liked.
    Even a couple teenagers wondered about the Dodge Dart wheels used on one.

8. Pretty astute observation since the Dart ended like what, 40 years before they were born?

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have become very jaded over the years, all these cars have been done a million times. Fords were not the only roadsters built. With the money spent a replica body of a Duesenberg, Auburn, Caddy, Lincon or any other Gm, Chrysler taken to an extreme level would be awesome. I love 32's as much as the next guy, but just like every Desoto grilled. 49 to 51 Merc. They have been done to death in every configuration possible. And I still love the hate talk about deep pockets like it wasn't like that back in the day. lol My first World of Wheels in in 1967 when I was 12, I marveled at the Chrome plated everything on revolving mirrored platforms. Something that was started for the most part by Blackie and his T inn 55 and the Ala Kart in 59 and 60. The more it changes the more it stays the same! lol Larry

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  10. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I think they'd all look better by getting rid of the stupid, ugly statues.

winduptoy, dan31, Kiwi 4d and 2 others like this.
  11. slug

slug

Rand Man, RICH B and shortypu like this.
  12. Some of em are sharp on late 60s-70s rides

Tman, shortypu and Moriarity like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just have to wait and see

The37Kid likes this.
  14. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Glad you've gotten the youth involved Anthony!

15. garage2small

garage2small

The one I would choose to own would be #2, I think #8 has the most innovative design, either one could be the winner and I wouldn't bitch. I think sometimes the judges forget that the title of the award is "Americas Most Beautiful Roadster" and not most costly, most complicated build, or most build hours.

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Rand Man

Rand Man

1F3D78FB-1540-4C6C-93DF-6718B930A3E7.jpeg You might say these wheels are the oldest trick in the book. I would take that as compliment. This is the year for this kind of Hot Rod!

17. I usually put the GNRS and Riddler contenders up on our board and let students discuss.
    I don’t add commentary or personal preferences until they pick out their winner.
    We will also check out show coverage from both.
    On Monday, I’ll have the winner up on the board. Reactions are interesting.
    A few could care less, but most really liked these rides.
    The biggest positive reaction from students were these two.
    AE912988-1FE3-4857-B9C0-78D1B4F1F52C.jpeg 743F75B8-E323-45AC-8449-A8FE0035600A.jpeg
    the bellytanker was funny. I don’t think anyone of them had ever seen one.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I can't argue with any of that, however having seen it now in person at the show today I have to say that it is a very, very nicely done car, full of very trick details inside and out, it really is a very well made car and IMO it very well could win the award due to all of that. But yeah, it's not traditional at all, and the lines just don't flow well IMO. I agree with your sentiments on the top; some really good metal craft, but the lines are off.

With all of that said a good friend of mine did a lot of work on it, he even got his name on the board as one of the builders. Now even though it's not my cup of tea, I have to hand it to him, that's a helluva accomplishment, I'm proud of him. He's also a great bass player that I've played several gigs with and jammed with from time to time. And builds cars for a day job, that's pretty good work if you can get it.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's a good shot of this car, and it does show better in person than that first pic. A very cool hot rod. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if it took home the trophy.

chryslerfan55 and Rand Man like this.
  20. Home build is confirmed..I thought it showed very well in person.

21. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

I agree, belongs on a drag car.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the maroon T on '32 rails, but this looks like the 2023 Winner to me. Bob
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and MMM1693 like this.
  23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Seeing the pictures online and seeing the roadsters in person are two completely different experiences. There aren't any roadsters that stands out like the Three Penny roadster from two years ago or the blue '34 Chevy from last year. Although I think the field is underwhelming this year, there are a couple that really stand out. That being said, I really hope the SwillCo roadster wins this year but I think the Jack Chisenhall roadster stands a very good chance at winning this year.

But then again, I've been unpleasantly surprised in the past.

24. Yes, I've saw them today and have to say they all look better in person than the initial photos.
    I'll go out on a limb and predict the Jack Chisenhall roadster will be selected AMBR 2023.

25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

[/QUOTE]
    [/QUOTE]
    Looks like they messed up the angle from the bottom of the winsheild to the start of the hood.

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's because of the wheels. Maybe I don't want to sit and think about it that long but to me everything seems to be off about that car. I can't even imagine it being considered.

27. Rand Man

Rand Man

28. Anderson

Anderson

Alright, just one thing. If the headlights were about 3” higher….

29. Fordors

Fordors

[/QUOTE]
    Looks like they messed up the angle from the bottom of the winsheild to the start of the hood.[/QUOTE]

7646D71F-258D-44DD-809E-FC97569666AD.png

The attention to detail on the rest of the car says otherwise.
    It looks like you’re seeing a reflection from the overhead lighting and/or the white background, nothing more.

chryslerfan55 and Hamtown Al like this.
  30. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first impression was #2 all the way but the more I look at #9 I think that should be the winner for its simplicity, great lines, and overall great visual looks. Excluding her.