Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 MELTDOWN DRAGS * Vintage Drag Meet * July 21-22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The 3rd annual Meltdown Drags will be an ALL weekend event. There will be a cruise Friday and Heads-up drag racing Saturday and Sunday.

Spectator Admission is $15
    Race Admission is $30

Gates open at noon on Friday and 9:00 on Sat. and Sun.
    Free camping Friday- Sunday
    Swap spaces are no extra charge. They are covered by general admission
    No extra charge to be in the car show - only $15

Cruise night at Sam's Drive-IN Friday night- starting approximately 5:00 - ?

One Night Standards - Playing LIVE at the drag strip Saturday night at 8:00 pm

The track will be open to only vintage cars. This is a vintage drag event, not a nostalgia event. The era of your wheels matters here.

Drive your classic car, race your vintage machine, wear your vintage clothes, and listen to some good old music!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Sounds sweet! Hope to make it this year!!

3. sololobo

sololobo

Nobody can say they didn't get a early notice. Great poster, best of luck with the event. ~sololobo~

4. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

There will also be

AWARDS for most vintage Drag Car Pit/Tow Car setup....

AWARDS for Guy and Girl with most Vintage/Uniique Vintage Clothing - outfit etc.

SWAP MEET - for Vintage Hot Rod car parts, related...ALSO Vintage Clothing or
    Hot Rod items....music, models, jewelry, shifter knobs, etc.

Unsure? Ask prior....

NO RUMMAGE ITEMS or CRAP.....(your old lawn mower or shovels)

SWAP MEET VENDOR FREE with admission to event.....$15 a day!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

5. Bob Maasen

Bob Maasen

This melt done race ,sound like blast. They closed our local drag strip in . Kansas City . Iam lookin for some old school place to runn. Say is there any place near the strip to camp? Thanks Bob

6. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Yeah, you can camp at the strip.

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

I so have to do this one year.
    Not likely this year but maybe... next ??

Hell, it's only a 14 hour tow. How bad can that be ??

8. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Saxxon - What kind of car do you have? Why not 2012? We had a guy come 14-15 from S. Dakota and a guy from Canada, and Pennsylvania.

You WILL NOT regret coming if you do....

E

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

63 Scout Gasser style. It's the same truck as my Avatar but updated to modern spec. Heres a link to the build

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317360

It's a matter of finances and health. I've been off work and on a reduced income with a very messed up back so taking a road trip like this is a bit too expensive but not out of the question. The second reason is the back itself. It simply would not take the drive. I would be wrecked by the time I get there. HOWEVER... I'm currently working my ass off to get in shape... so like I said, not out of the question.

Trust me when I tell you that I would almost be willing to kill my best friend for a chance to stand my junk on it's bumper with the rest of you lunatics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  10. Hellfish

Hellfish

Cool Scout!

I've been to the last 2 Meltdown Drags, and believe me, it is worth the trip! The track is run smoothly and professionally, racing all day long, and there are a number of different cars racing at Byron compared to the MD's sister event (Hunnert Car Heads Up) in June at Great Lakes Dragaway. http://www.Hunnertcarheadsup.com

I'll have the Econo ready this year... unless I blow it up at the Heads Up... again :)

11. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Saxxon well, we hope you can make it.....at least as a spectator if you cannot swing the car...if you do come and say Hello!! You will not regret it!!

Hellfish...should I have an extra rearend ready for you after the HCPU ?

12. Didnt Hellfish twist his drive shaft like a licorice rope at the heads up?:eek:

All i can say for anyone thinking about going to the Meltdown or Heads up, do it! You will be glad you did!

13. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

That is one bad ass scout. Bring that puppy on. Everyone is right about one thing. If you want to participate in an event like this there are none better anywhere. Not no where not no how!! Hell just stay the month and attend both events but do come to the Meltdown under the shadow of the Nuke if you can. Everyone has a glow about them when they leave. Just kidding, only one big ass smile that you can't wipe away with a 2x4.

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Saxxon, I followed the thread on the Scout. It is quite the trek for you, but this year with for sure be the best yet! I still stand by my post on your thread, that you successfully built a better gasser from a Scout than some have been able to do with a 55 chevy. I'd be killer to see it racing in the Meltdown!

Last year we had bad weather in the forecast and it rained 3 inches that morning. The rain was over around 11:30 am and by 1:00 pm the track was dried and ready to race. Despite the weather, we still had 140 cars from 11 states show in the rain- and they raced. This crowd draws some serious vintage race cars and the guys driving are not afraid to beat on them.

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

Thanks for the kind words. I have followed the event for the past 2 years and trust me when I tell you that I have those dates circled on my calender. If I can get there with a working truck I certainly will do so.

This year the Scout will have more power and it should put the little beast well into the 10's and a few more feet of length on the bumper scraping wheelstands. Maybe even give the Rebel Reaper a run for the title.

Working hard to get there

16. We want to provide an early list to the Dragstrip of cars attending the 2012 Meltdown Drags. To prove our point….there is an interest in keeping the MD just as it is.

Please email us with your name, Car – Make, Model, Color…..and what state your coming from.
    If you or a friend have NOT already raced at the MD….please email a photo for approval.

[email protected] (click to email us)

TELL YOUR FRIENDS even if they are busy building a project and are NOT sure they will be done in time, to pre-register.

Your name will go onto a list for the EVENT DAY…..and if your not on the list……??????????

We are hoping to provide close to 100 entries by Feb 2012 to show the track the interest level…..PLEASE help us provide this info…please let your friends and supporters know.

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I have been to the two previous Meltdown Drags as well.........
    FUN.
    This is what it is all about right?
    Just getting together and having a good time.
    That is what this event is.
    If you dig the vintage stuff - and you wanna see some cool rides going down the track - then you need to get off your butt and get to Byron in July.
    Heads Up is in June - same kind of vibe - FUN.
    I have not been to the Bunker Hill drags over in IN. But the word is - same thing - FUN.
    We are trying our best to bring that same vibe over here to Cordova as well. But we all have to learn from the Fugitives and Czars.
    If you come in with a superior attitude or think you are gonna "win".....
    well - you may be better off going to some other place. Cause everyone I talked to at the Meltdown were all relaxed, out to have a good time, and were just happy to be there.
    That is the best kind of vibe at a show man......
    Seeya at the Meltdown and Heads Up!!!

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

No, it's a Ford 9 inch POSI. It will hold up, and so will the new fat driveshaft. I'm more worried about the 3spd trans. :) I'll just take it easy on launch

19. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Here are a couple shots of the staging lanes from last year. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I'll be there. Just sent an e-mail.

21. t5stang91

t5stang91

i will be there

22. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

There will be a pre-Meltdown Cruise Friday night before the drags at local Sam's Drive-IN in downtown Byron, IL. They have good ice cream and good burgers. Last year cars came from the track along with hot rods staying the night out of town. It was a real cruise. Cars came and went all evening long.

Here are some pictures of Sam's (not taken at the cruise)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For sure I'll make it again.

24. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Finn thanks just added you to the list....E

25. Thats a pretty sweet drive in Our group will probubly be driving down from beloit for the friday night cruise this year will be a good time!!

26. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Strokedstang, might need some measurements off that adapter plate.... is it out of the car?
    E

27. Its still in the car but i can measure off the block to get ya close if you need let me know.

28. SLCK64

SLCK64

Im taking that Thurs and Fri off work.

Can we get into the track on Friday and set up our area and go to the cruise and then back to the track to sleep? Or how does that work?

29. Yep, we'll get situated at the track on Friday and then cruise over to Sam's (really close by) to catch some great food and bench race...;)

Many are camping overnight Friday & Saturday at the track.

30. gasserstude

gasserstude

does any body have a phone contact for early reg. my email will not go thorgh thanks