Register now to get rid of these ads!

$20000 Hackjob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnnykck, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Professionally built? Yea,by a gardener!!!!

2. johnnykck

johnnykck

He bought the car on EBAY. I know, big mistake!
    Yeah, I am going to tell him that if he wants me to put the car back together he needs to get another frame and let me start all over with a fresh frame. The body does look pretty good, but who knows what under the paint and the fenders are fiberglass.

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well at least you can fix it for him! Second, you have to get him to agree to never look at another on by himself, or go down and get him some glasses.

4. I Drag

I Drag

You're not noticing the good points...extra reinforcement on the trans crossmember...restored the wood floor boards...used at least 2 bolts to hold steering box on...etc.

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Buyer beware. I guess it kinda brings up a question of manners. How deep into a car should you rip when you are looking to buy?

Obviously anything external (frame,engine,mounts,body) are all fair game to inspect. Is it okay to pull up carpet? Or even to pull off door panels?

I usually take a magnet with me,...be careful when running it over fenders.

I wish you good luck on the rebuild. At least its a chance to do it right. It always feel better knowing the work is quality and done well.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

another good point: best welds underneath look to be on the muffler........

7. Hopsing1

Hopsing1

Wow, did you guys see the wishbones? :eek: W T F!?! Looks like they just welded the rod ends into the wishbones.....no threaded bung, they're in crooked, and the rear one looks like it had a bolt welded in to fill in the gap that was left afterwards! :confused: Unbelievable.....good thing he has a friend like you to help fix it correctly ;)

8. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Or a $5 prostitute......

9. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Tyranny mount is a stock G.M mount, I'd be bummed at your buddy for spending $20 g's for it.

10. Slick Steve

Slick Steve
    from Indy

I guess its better than a $20000 Handjob....at least he's got something to show for it!

11. Was that a bolt wedged into the split bone to act as a reducer for the heim before they welded it? Good lord.

12. johnnykck

johnnykck

All four rod ends are all just welded in the wish bones and they are all crooked as hell. If it wasn't so sad I would be laughing!!

13. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

It WAS built by a profesional. A profesional makes money at something, in this case building a "ahem" car. In fact, he made $20,000. By definition,, he is a profesional.

14. johnnykck

johnnykck

You do have a point!!

15. that xmsn crossmember looks to me like an old Chevy Chevelle crossmember. albeit hacked to shit, but useable. fixable. somewhat. I think. or maybe you can just make one. so he paid $20,000 for a body.

16. Deadbird

Deadbird

Please, don't make me look any more. It hurts my eyes.

Seriously, I think my wife's cat could build a better hot rod. But I wouldn't pay $20k for it.

17. This looks like a traditional hack job. I have a T coupester that looks of the very same quality. It was assembled in the early 60's, probably by drunken teenagers. It is cool the way the builder copied my T coupester in the quality of his build.:eek:

That is E-gay for you. Some sellers get rich by selling trashy junk. But, I thought those days were over, due to our current economic condition?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  18. Your friend is a dipshit that should go buy a bus pass.

19. When you said your buddy din't know much about cars, you weren't kidding.

Painted re-sell red with GLASS fenders.

Only thing ya' can say is that $20,000 he spent was just like investing in the stock market.

He spent $20k, has a net worth of $10k and will have to work five more years to be back where his should've been when he made this investment.

20. Deadbird

Deadbird

OUCH!..... :eek:

21. Richard Head

Richard Head

I was about to defend the price of a painted drivable 36 coupe because the price of a rolling project has been getting so high lately. Then I looked at the pictures of the outside and changed my mind. The paint looks weathered and the diamond tuft upholstery, while cool to some, doesn't add value to anything. Just looking at the outside, 15 grand would have been a stretch. Pop the hood and that firewall would have made me turn away.

With the shit engineering of the chassis, I doubt the whole car is worth the price of a body.

My budget beater 35 project is just tacked together and it is more road worthy than that car.

Dave

22. it came from WYOMING?!?!??!?!?!?! Red flag around here!~ Oil money and no smarts! ANYONE can make money in a boom oil economy. If it comes from Wyo, it prob had some cowboy that likes cars build..........really Wyoming sucks. (but there are a couple folks out there that know their shit.)

23. 067chevy

067chevy

Wow what a piece of shit.

24. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

The seller aint to dumb ,he found a buyer . Just think if the seller would have painted it flat black this thread would never have been posted .c

25. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Did you rub your buddy's nose in it after he turned down your offer to come look at the car? You're probably too nice for that. Although, I guess posting pics on the HAMB qualifies!

Me and a pal have been busting our butts trying to make my 36 frame as nice as we can, and after seeing the chassis on that thing-

I really hope that the "builder" is not a HAMBer.

26. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

I built that car 10 years ago and I stand by it. No im joking but the hack work looks old not recent maybe the seller didnt even know what he was selling.

27. johnnykck

johnnykck

Yeah, that pretty much what I told him. I also told him the next time he has 20grand to throw away, to let me know. I could make it easier for him.

28. Spot_remover

Spot_remover

20 grand, that car better know how to give awesome blowjobs.

29. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

I've got a buddy that runs a shipping company - you wouldn't believe the crap that gets sold on Ebay then shipped o/seas. He's had to call some customers & tell them he can't ship their cars with a clear conscience!
    Where are these people when I've got something for sale?
    Then again some save themselves cash & a lot of heartache by spending dough up front to have a car checked out.

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Or sober........
    Actually, fairly representative of an inexperienced do-it-your-selfer..... I'll admit that when I was a kid I was capable of something like that, and most of us (were) at some time, just some with ego that won't let themselves;) admit it.

Aside from the scabs, misalignment, welded rod ends that can't be adjusted, a little sandpaper and varnish on that wood and it's a good solid car.

Buyer beware. Buyer can't transfer blame. Seller beware of buyer's remorse.

Be easy on your friend he has to live with it. Rationalizing the blame will only make it worse.