Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 2 doors vs 4 doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. 4 doors really aren't hot rods - but they can be a great cruiser or family fun machine. The other reality is that there are many 'would be' old car owners who deny themselves the joy of owning and driving and old car simply because their pride won't let them or they simply can't bring themselves to drive a 4 door... Sad really.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker likes this.
  2. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Here's a 58' chev. that I sold a couple years back. It was a fun cruiser with a 327/350 combo. Never pass up owning an old car just because it's a 4-door. IMG_0210.JPG

3. Myself, I think that a 2 door vehicle is good if it's just you and your spouse. However, if you have a family then a 4 door vehicle is the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Arabie777 likes this.
  4. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

63IMPALA-1.jpg I took this 1963 Impala as part if a trade deal. 4 door hardtop with a bunch of options. A friend said that it might be hard to resell.......but first I would have to decide to sell it again. The wife loves it, that's more than half the battle. Gary

5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thats my favorite car but its also one car that i cant stand the 4 doors. The 58s can look like jets or low flying UFOs but as a 4 door, its like grandma's church cruiser

What'cha got in there, kid?

6. I signed off on 4 doors in the 80's. I had a lot of them. I'm all done with them.

Spoggie likes this.
  7. Lemme see if I got all this straight: 2 door = cool. 4 dr = not cool. Exceptions are that not ALL 2 drs are cool...but SOME 4 drs are cool?

8. Almost

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you have a 4 door don't take the rear door handles off and think you're fooling anybody.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  10. In high school I was allowed to have an after-school-job when many kids were not. I was able to choose my own car because I paid for it myself and I chose all 3 of my high school cars....a 50 ford tudor, a 56 Olds convertible and a 41 ford tudor. Problem is, only the Olds was road worthy and it was broke down most of the time so I drove my parents family car.........a yellow and white 55 Olds super 88 4 door. All the cool guys would say "Hey, how's your Buick runnin? as a slam. Had the 202 HP 4 barrel 324 and ran pretty good...but I was embarassed to drive it.
    I ended up with it after high school...bought it to help my mother buy a falcon gas-sipper and I couldn't wait to dump it...swapped it in for a 57 Pontiac 2 door.
    But there were plenty of 40s and 50s 4 door hand-me-down cars in the high school lot. Some were actually pretty fast. scan0002.jpg

Spoggie and low budget like this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That chrome reverse on it?

12. I bought a pair of" chromies" after I bought it from my mom.....put both of them on the same side for the photo!
    I later swapped the chrome wheels onto my 57 Pontiac. They looked much better on a tudor..And I bought another pair. 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ha,ha Sounds just like things Ive done. Actually looks pretty good to me, nice and clean. I like seeing pics of the times in our life before we could manage to get the cool car and looking back and realizing how much more cool those times may have been than we actually realized at the time.;)

14. You were allowed to have an after school job, when many kids were not ..... how was that criteria set?
    I found that statement interesting.

15. I always liked the 4 doors easier to get the grand kids in and when food shopping. Hopefully this one will turn out nice too.Bruce. 006.JPG

Arabie777 likes this.
  16. Seven pages of reading and nobody touched on one major point. Look back at the NHRA records in the 60s and in the stock classes there were quite a few 4 doors, wagons, convertibles and other oddballs that fit due the weight/CID breakdown and how they fell into a certain class. My dad ran 55 and 56 4drs until the GTO came out and he switched over. He finished his career with a factory ride from Dr Olds so he knew a little bit ;)

17. 34FordConv

34FordConv

DANG!
    I just wasted my money on a 34 Phaeton.

exterminator likes this.
  18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0178.JPG JelliPups5179 016.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  19. Calcrenshaw

Calcrenshaw

I'm thinking about selling my 55 chevy 2 door and buying something in a 4 door just for the fact I can take my small children places. 55 doesn't even have a back seat haha

Arabie777 likes this.
  20. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

There will probably be some type of 4dr. in my future. My traveling buddies and I are getting older. It's getting more difficult to pack everything in a 32 and some are at the point of not being able to drive. I may buy some type of sedan possibly a late 40's GM, Ford or Chrysler to get us all down the road.

Arabie777 likes this.
  21. Hey MO,
    How about something like this?
    Can you imagine a straight 8 with dual exhaust
    and cut-outs?
    This is one more more-door I could live with! packard.jpg

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

One thing that really bothers me about 4 doors is when people put cragars or some other type of aftermarket rims on them and shave the door handles. Just doesnt look right imo. A 4 door should be a sleeper. Steel wheels and a stock look

What'cha got in there, kid?

Arabie777 and blowby like this.
  23. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

There's nothing wrong with a 4 door. They weren't as popular as race cars, but there were 4 doors that were drag raced.

64 Nova.png 57 Sport Sedan Jr Stocker.jpg 57 Sport Sedan Jr Stocker 2.jpg J Stock 55 Chevy.jpg 54 Buick.jpg

24. 4 drs that raced and WON. Always loved the McMaster & Gunning 57.

Arabie777 and Torkwrench like this.
  25. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

for what its worth i dig four doors........... KIMG0981.jpg especially mine!

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I can relate on not liking the rear shaved door handles but I dont think everyone should just bow down and leave there 4 door stock, just because the 2 door (only) guys want to keep them in a little back category in there mind. I think true old car guys like to see something they have never seen before, not just a stereotypical idea of the way everything should be, leaving all the 4 doors in the humble back row or corner with there original hubcaps etc still in place.:D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  27. America thing, this. Any car was cool down under. No 2 door cars around.

28. Good for gangsters too.

29. I am sure this has been stated in this thread, but I think it comes down to what one can find and more importantly what one can afford!
    It is the same reason people are starting with bodies that are so rough.

But I have always thought 4 doors could be cool, so did these guys!

[​IMG]

30. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That's a great pic but my question is ... All the spaghetti you can eat for 99 cents? Where is that place? :D