Register now to get rid of these ads!

1st trip down strip in 40years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yruhot, Apr 14, 2012.

1. yruhot

yruhot

[FONT=&quot]Hey there hambers, thought I'd share with you some video footage my first trip down the drag strip in about 40 years. My 27 yr old son did a ride along, his first trip down the strip. Don't know if you remember but this car car a total and I saved it from the scrapper and posted my "first trip or in my 55 gasser style car" on this site else were. It was a goal of mine to get the car running,drive it to the strip and run it. Mission accomplished.yea. Car has a bone stock .060 454 out of a surburban donor truck. Car went a best or 14.40 et with a 30 mph headwind all night,mph was like 90 mph on car. You'll hear it in the video links I was able to post(Thanks son)lol. It was a blast. Since that night I've added a pair of 1970 closed chamber LS-6 head. Comp Cam and kit. Tunnel ram with 660 center squirters and finally got them dialed in pretty good. I still need like a 3000 rpm stall converter. That will be in before we return to the track. Can't wait to get to the track for some more runs and fun. Hope they aren't too boring with these quick times I ran and all. Well Enjoy. YRUHOT..........Doug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apl5439BnkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npuE5LbjNFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opObXC0CqOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP7Hw-OqGKY[/FONT]

Attached Files:

2. deto

deto

super bad ass man

3. metal man

metal man

Awesome! Be careful,drag racing is addicting.:D

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Good video,looks like you had a blast. What rear gear are are you running ?

5. yruhot

yruhot

Hi there brad chevy, I'm running 4;56 in a 9inch ford with a spool. 35 spline axles. No problem with rear end. I think I might have went a little to low but they seem to be the gear of choice for similar cars on Pass Time on speed. turbo 400. Only went 90 mph into a head wind but it felt like 150 mph. had a blast. Son can't wait to do it again. Me too. yruhot.........doug

6. yruhot

yruhot

You are right metal man, I stayed clean and sober from drag racing for like 40 years. Raised my kids and gave them a good start in life and I needed a retirement project and this fell into my lap. Always loved the tri fives and especially the gassers. This is my second attempt at building such a car, I was a little more prepared this time to do it. And this car just fell into my lap and with the right front wheel up into the firewall I knew then what kind of a car it was going to be. take care.yruhot.........doug

7. yruhot

yruhot

There are two post on this topic. Couldn't get the links to the first try but did on the second. But I can't find the second attempt at posting this?YRUHOT.....Doug

8. 76ironhead

76ironhead

I'm no expert but i think your hooked again. Car looks good.

9. JD Miller

JD Miller

Post another video with those heads , tunnel ram and 660 center squirters. Its gona go a hell of a lot faster . I had the same set up with an L88 cam. When it was on a 427 it screamed rpms

10. lawman

lawman

That's a nice one !!!!!

11. robber

robber

After 40 years, it must have been a blast for you to get back on the track! I'm sure you and your son are having a gas in the gasser as well as creating some very cool memories together! Good work saving this car from the scrapper. It boggles the mind that anyone could scrap these cars! Have fun and thanks for sharing your experience.

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just watched the videos. Car looks great. Alos looks like it handles and drives straight as an arrow. Nice job.
    Baron

13. 33hotrod

33hotrod

What great videos! That is some kool ride. Have fun! Ya gotta love those 55's

14. afaulk

afaulk

Glad you're having fun with it! I stayed away from dragstrips for almost 20 yrs. Then a friend talked me into going and taking my car. I was hooked AGAIN. This time it has cost me some serious moolah. When you go to swap meets leave the checkbook and credit cards at home....LOL.

15. thehazguy

thehazguy

That's AWESOME man. 55 gassers are great.Work out the bugs and have a blast. Mine from 1971

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  16. Very cool, looks like fun!

17. devilinangel

devilinangel
    from Guangzhou

I like your description! LOL:D

18. yruhot

yruhot

Thanks Baron, yea it runs and drives real straight, no drama. Got a little squerirlly when I let a little too much air out of the tires. Aired them back up and no problems. These are some little ET street slicks I bought used to get on the track with the street cars. Got some new slicks taller circumference 94 inch and looks alot better. Thats the size i cut the rockers to fit. truhot.........doug

19. Looks like some great father/son bonding. Sounds like you both had fun. Car sounds great

20. Awsome! Looks like you are enjoying it for sure!

21. Did you get back to the track with the new engine mods yet ?

22. Doug thats fantastic, escpically the part about doing it with your son!!......
    Thats whats known as living your dream..........................
    Now you need to drag it out to Eagle Field on the 19th of May.......

23. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hey Doug.
    Cool to see you had a good time, Bet you realllly like that head swap ehh?

Im on the road with mine, putting seatbelts in this weekend, and have some slicks coming soon...Im aiming for you bud!

Good times

24. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it's great that you just jumped in and did it---keep it fun

25. McDeuce

McDeuce

Looks like lot of fun!

26. McDeuce

McDeuce

Looks like lots of fun!

27. yruhot

yruhot

Hi All, i'm not sure why this popped up again but I saw it and thought I would post an update on the gasser style build my son and I did. Our original outing was in Jan 2012 at the Mid-nite mayhem at the STRIP at Las Vegas. As stated the best time for that night was like 14.40's with a pretty much stock 454 out of a suburban. Six months later after adding some ARP rod bolts/comp cam/some old school ls6 square port,closed chamber heads/ weiand tunnel ram with two 600 cfm edelbrock carbs/3000 stall/ I think that was about it and a temp of like 105 degrees when we got there it ran a best after it cooled down a bit of 12:50's like 107 mph. I was so pleased. MAde all the crawling around on my back seem worth it.lol. I am going back to the track in a week to try out the 250 shoot of nitrous I install in the car. Due to cast pistons I will be running a 125 hp set up. I'm hoping to break into the 11's. That will be mission accomplished for this set up. Already building up the war chest for possibly a new motor. My partner in crime is talking 572 with blower. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds interesting. Have never had a super charged motor as such. Also if you go to youtube and search Doug Warren@LVMS you can catch the 55 running out at the strip in the 12's'. My kid aint here to post them on here so thats the best I can do. I hope 11's next time. I installed a roll bar and some light interior carpet from the rear window to the firewall and same stuff for a headliner. I know I'm getting older. everytime I drive the thing around town my ears ring for like 3 days. Even with the mufflers. I resorted to wearing ear plugs. Looks like I got an Ipod.lol.Thanks much for the kind responses. Love this site.yruhot................Doug

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      464.1 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG