Register now to get rid of these ads!

1989 ford f-150 transmission problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by destroyr72, Apr 18, 2012.

1. destroyr72

destroyr72
    from Lake Orion

I have a 1989 ford f150 with 94,000 miles on it. It has been shifting fine and running smooth. Yesterday I decided to change the transmission fluid and filter. When I put it all back together it won't shift and just revs high at 20 m.p.h. I torqued the filter bolts with a inch pound torque wrench first to 100 inch pounds. Still didn't work. So I removed the pan and torqued it with my foot pound torque wrench to 8 foot pounds. Still nothing. I am not really a mechanic and I'm out of ideas. I have pulled the pan 5 times and still come up with nothing. Anyone have and suggestions or advice? Thanks.

2. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Which trans do you have?

3. Also try the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum....

4. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

5. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

sounds like you unplugged the modulator vaccum line if its a C6 or the tv cable if its an overdrive. that or you really did something wrong inside!

6. It worked before you changed the oil, right? Just a question, did you fill the transmission to the right level? You must check the stick when engine is running, parking brake on and slowly put the gears in low reverse high etc. If you just fill to the right level with out this you don’t get the right oil level and the Trans would not shift right.

7. fordor41

fordor41

Was there a check ball under a tab that got lost? Ditto on tranny fluid level. May take a while.