Register now to get rid of these ads!

1965 Winternationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ardyboy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ardyboy

ardyboy

2. Love it!! Wish someone would edit some cool "car-tunes" for background music. Thanks for sharing.
    You truly could study this movie, to help in building a period correct Hot Rod!!:cool:
    JT

3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

OK, that was awesome, but since I was born in '65, tell me, why did all those racers wear white pants? If I wear white ANYTHING and get near one of my old cars, they're ruined. Did they bleach them daily, or just trash 'em after one use?

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

my buddy Arvin and I were at that event. Drove down from the Tri-Cities, WA and spent the weekend. Rained like the proverbial cow and the flat rock. They had to run most of the stuff on Sunday, but...they gotterdun. A few records were set/broken, we got to meet George and Sam Barris, Bill Thomas (and his awesome inventory of Chev FI units), watched B&M guys (at their shop) putting a Hydrostick in something, got to see the Hemi Under Glass Barracuda, the Boot Hill Express and a few other famous SoCal shops of that time.

5. ardyboy

ardyboy

6. lawman

lawman

Those sure were the day's. Thank's for the vid.

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Thanks for the great clip.

8. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Very cool! I did a partial restoration on the factory lightweight '62 Fury that was known as "Kempton's Shaker". It won the '65 Winternats in Jr. Stock.

Dave Kempton won a bunch and set a number of records back in the day. Shortly after we tracked him down to get some info from him, he passed away. We managed to write back and forth a couple of times. It seemed to make his day when we "found' him and he realized that we were going to keep his old car alive.

Thanks for posting the vid!

9. From the 40's through the 60's we always wore white pants at the races. It started as a safety thing with the circle track guys in the late 30's. The rules required white pants in the pits for safety, especially during night races. The tradition stayed around until the 70's when team uniforms started showing up. Yes, they got dirty, and our mom's, or wives bleached the crap out of them.

Winternationals. 1963.

[​IMG]

10. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

WOW, thanks for the post very cool even without sound.....

11. ardyboy

ardyboy

Dean Lowe
    cool little bit race history...thanks