Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1965 Coronet W11 How Rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkshop, Oct 31, 2015.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats the Inland shifter, probably a very early '68 cảr using up the '67 parts. Guys hated those things.

2. Fedman

Fedman

I only drove it once..... Yuk! My POS 57 Chev was a much nicer driving Car to me.
    I think it was purchased because it had a Hemi Hood, underneath which a 383" Lurked. :p
    Not really important for sure, just great memories for me.
    Sorry for interupting the thread.:oops:

3. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

OK just got home, from were I got the car, talked to the lady I bought it from husband he parked the car in 1972 needed to freshen engine, pulled it apart to do it and while he was away in service parents scrapped the engine and trans while cleaning the garage. The car has sit sence. So I will round up a 440 and 4 speed for it....

4. squirrel

squirrel

see if you can find a 413 :)

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

440 dressed like 426 wedge :D

loudbang likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Why not a 383? They are a way cheaper core, and I bet it will surprise the hell out of you. I used to build lots of 383's and 440's back in the eighties, the 383's ran damn good.

brad2v likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Psst, don't tell anyone, but this is an oem bench seat 4 speed shifter for the 66 2 dr. Sedan.
    I'm not up on all the Mopar stuff, may be same for bucket/console cars.
    My very earliest hands-on with these cars was around 1971, I was 17 and helping crew on a Plymouth Belvedere I. Super Stock drag car that an older friend campaigned here in the NW. Quite a valuable car nowadays as it was a factory dual four 426 hemi/4 speed car, also had a Dana 60 rearend.
    The shifter shown was what I remember, but was soon replaced with an inlne shifter, can't remember if it was a Hurst, may have been a Mr. Gasket.
    The car was a factory street hemi but also was a radio and heater delete car.
    Sorry to hijack your 65 thread but it sure conjured up some memories.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oops, here's the photo.
    mopp_0503_05_z+1966_plymouth_belvedere_i+interior.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^yup, per my other posts, that's the Inland shifter you would expect to see in a '66.

10. marfen

marfen
    from sask

I had one of those coronet post cars, 426 wedge auto, I recall it was one of 58. black, red bench guts. Previous owner had put on max wedge heads, intake, carbs. Miss that car. I found a 318 hardtop to cut up and build an AWB. Because of the 64/65 Race Hemis being post cars many of us value the post cars over the hardtops. Just me I think the hardtop looks better as an AWB than the post cars. The fiberglass doors available are for sedans , however, and need modification along with the door jam to fit in a hardtop.

11. badshifter

badshifter

The previously mentioned Scooby Doo on the fender.....
    image.jpeg

12. brad2v

brad2v

Ok I'm in. Hard to suppress my inner Mopar guy. Neat, neat car. I'm with George, a day two build, skinny cheaters on the chromies, and some variety of 5 spokes on the front. 383's rev like motherfuckers...just sayin'....

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^I'm a big fan of 383's, they are a really solid little motor.
    We are kind of wandering a bit from what my original intent was with the shifter info, but this is kinda cool. I'll stop with the "musclecar stuff" after this, I promise.
    This photo is the Roadrunner that Hot Rod tested in their November 1967 issue. This was a real early production '68 Roadrunner, probably assembled in say August of '67, first RR the auto press got their hands on. Note the Inland shifter...
    nov 67 hot rod.jpg

And this is the car Super Stock & Drag Illustrated tested in the March '68 issue. Round stick Hurst...
    march 68 ss di.jpg
    The above Hurst shifter was OEM ONLY. If you had walked into your local Goodies or Cal-Van or whatever in 1968, and ordered a Hurst shifter for a B-body Mopar, you would have got basically the same shifter (the tower wouldn't have a black phosphate coating) as in post #28, NOT the shifter in the photo above.

14. Fedman

Fedman

Thanks George for all the Hurst Shifter info! :)
    Cool Stuff to know.
    Last comment on Driving the R.R.
    I have a size 10 shoe, the floor pan under the clutch pedal has a recess that the pedal drops down into. Absolutely the most uncomfortable pedal, floor pan combination I have ever driven. :(
    I love looking at them, I just don't want to drive them!:p

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

God, I'd kill for another 383 4 speed bench seat coupe, but the prices on them are in the same territory as that '64/'65 Corvette I've never owned, so...
    I was looking at a Omaha Orange bench seat, 4 speed flip-out window coupe somewhere earlier this year like the one I had, might have been at Semiahoo.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I had a 66 Coronet with a 383 4 bbl 4 speed with a console mounted Inland Shifter. Yea, the shifter sucked, but that didn't stop me from beating the crap out of the car.

Must be the way you sat in the seat or how it was adjusted, I didn't have any problems with any of my 4 speed Road Runners, or Coronets. Then again, that may have depended on how the clutch was adjusted, or how you drove, I don't believe I had to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor very often. I seem to remember a lot of shifts without using the clutch at all... I did have a nice collection of broken Hurst Shifters, and other broken parts though....Maybe it was the way I drove.....Gene

17. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

badshifter, that's pretty funny I never caught that till you posted the close up. I thought the reference had to do with my WRX sitting next to the car....

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

I didn't figure you 'got it' when I first posted it...:D
    Never meant as a dis, funny how stuff like that catch's ones eye.
    But, if you DO end up going AWB, I think the car may have named itself!

19. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

slowmotion, Not taken as a dis by no means. looking at the picture it certainly did name itself.

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. Truckedup

Truckedup

Maybe not. The only new car I ever owned was a 69 Dodge Super B 383 4 speed. Round stick with no reverse lockout...The shifter was Hurst type without the gear stops

21. @porkshop the reason we got away from MOPARs was because of all the resto crap.

If I had it I may not build an AWB out of it, but I would not be beyond stuffing a stroked 400 in it (or any hot low deck) dressing it like a 383 and driving it like I stole it. I guess I am the wrong person to ask, I am not a resto guy and wouldn't give an aeronautical intercourse at a tumbling piece of pastry who got their panties in a bunch over it.

Cool car love that body style. Mrs 'beaner would have me selling plasma if she saw it she loves them too.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    cptn60, Fedman and brad2v like this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not my Vega George. 2 of my dearest friends and I were pretty charged up to build an AWB car and run with some of the Midwest organizations. 2 months after we got it home one of my friends found out that divorce was in the future after 30 years with her so this one's going away. If anyone's interest shoot me a PM. for details and more pics.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

check posts #31 &#43

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

(almost) Everybody keeps dissing/overlooking the 383 on this thread. I used to build a ton of big block mopars. In my experience, which includes a lot of track time with modified BBM's, the difference between a 383 and a 440, if both are built to the same level, and geared appropriately is about a tenth. And that's assuming dead hook. If they don't dead hook, all bets are off, and the gap is less.

brad2v likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

bummer.:(

26. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

beaner, she wont get restored, just wont alter the wheel base, I've got feelers out for a big block, don't care about the size for now, just want to get it up and running. the 4spd stuff is proving to be a little harder to come by. At east with my budget.....Lol

27. I might be able to find the 4 speed stuff if you want it. If you don't already have an automajic for it the cost will come out about the same if you shop around or know a guy. LOL If we could find a relay it may not be as bad as it looks price wise. I'll throw some feelers out if you like.

28. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

There is one in the hamb classifieds that I'm going to check on. 700 with all the small block housing etc. I've got aa T10 Ford falcon/comet 4spd setup that I'm going to sell or try to trade.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Same thing with the GM versions, they weren't too bad when they are new and tight, and adjusted right.
    I think I got one of the last GM issue shifter bodies for my original 4 speed 65 El Camino in the mid 70's.

30. Just let me know what pops for ya. My old racing buddy may have some big block stuff floating around in his way.