Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1965 cadillac starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goodtogo1, Jan 10, 2017.

1. goodtogo1

goodtogo1

I have a 1965 cadillac and start went bad and I turned in the core and when I go the new one realized it is missing the 2 additional holes for the brackets. What can I do to solve the issue of getting a replacement. I've read that if you just use starter without the the additional brackets is will shear the bolts off. Need to get here ready for spring time!!

2. I never give up any cores from these old cars, better to keep them and have them in a box so you can have them refurbished years down the line when thay are completely obsolete, I just pay the core charge.

You now have the wrong version of that Delco starter. I wouldn't try to drill and tap it myself, but if you got a $60 starter what have you got to lose?

You can see where the hole is (hopefully you still have the bracket)
    IMG_1484146831.446876.jpg

Since you turned in your core, you can search for the correct core and have it rebuilt, but a specialty supplier (like Antique Cadillac Parts) will have the correct starter. (pricy, $300, but not so bad) and you don't really have much of a choice. I think you'll spend that and more on a core and a rebuild, (with all the shipping)

Seems like you can buy one here:
    https://www.antiquecadillacparts.net/1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-1973-cadillac-starter/
    IMG_1484146995.399654.jpg
    You can see their starter has the bolt hole for the bracket below the seam in the spit case.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. who did you turn in the core to? how long ago? it may be able to be recovered