Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

make sure you wire the starter up correctly , may not be like the old style . it may stay ingauged if it is not

loudbang and fiveoh108 like this.
  2. Thank you, it came with a great set of instructions, hoping not to mess it up! Wouldn't be the first time I did.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

The black is a great choice, but then what you've done with the car as a whole is pretty damn cool!

fiveoh108 and loudbang like this.
  4. I detailed the intake before giving it to the engine builder and when I got the motor back it looked like this all blotchy and stained with oil/gas...[​IMG]
    So I taped and blocked off the rest of the engine compartment and re painted it[​IMG]

My chrome valve covers are supposed to be here next week. I got the pulleys on and painted, the oil fill tube installed and the carb linkage hooked up.

5. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I really like the gold valve covers best. Just my humble opinion. I love your car!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Terrible80, loudbang and fiveoh108 like this.
  6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Gammz you are not alone I was thinking the same thing

Gammz and fiveoh108 like this.
  7. powrshftr

powrshftr

We did my car with push lock hose,and your best friends will be a heat gun to soften the hoses slightly,and some dielectric grease on the fittings/interior of the hose to help those barbs seat all the way in.The first 1/4" is pretty easy,but the last 1/4" is murder on the fingers.
    It's pretty cool stuff once you get the hang of it,but it's kind of a steep,painful learning curve....like spiro-loks.....lol

The car is looking amazing.I didn't think I could be any more impressed by that car,but lo and behold,once again,you have really out done yourself Brother.Nice work!

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. Thank you Scott! I appreciate your support! Are you happy with the push lok? Would you have gone steel braided if you could do it again?

powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  9. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think the added effort of getting these connections made is well worth it.
    Initially,I picked the push lock because I could get it in black,so it would look like rubber hose at first glance,and if it was good enough for Cup cars,it was surely good enough for my junk.
    I think the trouble saved by not having to deal with frayed ends is worth the effort of making the connections,and you can cut the push lock stuff with a box cutter,or a tool for cutting irrigation tubing from Home Depot.It really is pretty user friendly stuff,aside from all the cursing you'll do on the first few connections.
    My Dad and I actually made up a couple jigs to help squeeze the stuff into the barbs.
    Like I said earlier,some careful use of the heat gun to soften the ends,and generous use of dielectric grease will make the task a lot easier.
    The stuff looks so clean and professional when it goes together,and we haven't had a single problem with it since we did the car.
    I can't remember if you've got my cell number or not,but I'll pm it to you,and you can text me if you have any questions.
    The stuff I went with was Fragola brand,and it was priced right,and very high quality.
    I'd definitely use it again.:)

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

With the push loc heat is your friend..Put a little oil in the hose and on the fitting, heat the hose to hot to touch and push on in one fluid motion..I think I got some black braided hose that is push on but can't find the stuff now, out of summit that looks pretty good..

powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  11. Here you go, you chrome valve cover detractors! LOL trying to figure out where to mount the fuel regulator.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't put it on the fire wall. ;)

13. Nhra doesn't like it there . I was thinking somewhere on the front driver's side head like the original fuel canister..

powrshftr, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would of thought the pass side because the carburetor inlets are on that side.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Trying to make it look kinda like this. I have a perfect overflow tank I might try to run, I just heard with all the vibration, they spring leaks. Every thunderbolt I have seen had one on it though....[​IMG]

powrshftr, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  16. The headers arrived after 7 months of waiting, I wasn't ready for them anyway before now, but they fit amazing. I have 9.5" of ground clearance too. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Now I can take them off and get them coated

17. loudbang

loudbang

Nice, the individual flanges MAY make spark plug changes a LITTLE easier. But nothing helps much. Gloves and a cold engine is the trick to saving your hands. :rolleyes:

1947knuck and fiveoh108 like this.
  18. I mocked up some of the radiator, fan and fan shroud, trying to get the right fan depth. I also got the throttle linkage hooked up, custom bent a 64 Galaxie pedal assembly to fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mgtstumpy, loudbang, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  19. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Mike, This thing is turning out Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

" Here you go, you chrome valve cover detractors! "
    OK, I surrender... They look great! The Headers also.... are they going to be ceramic coated?
    (A dark satin black, hint hint)

21. RmK57

RmK57

Those sure do look like Crites headers. They do fit nice I have a set on my 514 BBF 57 Ford.
    I had a quick turnaround on mine, they only took 3 months.

loudbang likes this.
  22. I am going to get them coated, I go back on forth on the color though. I am thinking nickel, like dull chrome ( valve covers are chrome, water pump is polished) or black. The last time I had headers done, the company sprayed the black and missed the backs of several of the tubes, I opted for the nickel coating which they dunked the headers in and got total coverage, that was 15 years ago though

loudbang and Johnboy34 like this.
  23. Thank you! I am trying to pay attention to the details.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I've used performance coatings in Auburn, Wa with great results. I think they are a franchised company that's in lots of cities. Whatever you choose will look great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Roy would be looking down saying "Tsk tsk" when you decided to GO BIG but now even he would be admitting NICE JOB. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  26. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

the fan you have takes 40+ hp to turn

loudbang likes this.
  27. I'm not trying to break any records, just have fun and look period correct.

28. Dropped the headers off to get coated today. Also got a new steward emp thermostat, not cheap, but from my research seems like a good investment. I also decided to run the factory style surge tank. The fan spacer is too short and try fan hits the surge tank so I need 1/4" more spacer to clear it. My lead mechanic helping!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

29. Mike, it's turning out awesome!

BigMike

30. Headers are back and hopefully will be [​IMG]installed this week

loudbang, Gammz, Johnboy34 and 2 others like this.