Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I went on Chris Alstons Chassis Works web site,they still show a Falcon listing on their rollbars.The pages are 198-202,shows all the designs and options.Still have not heard from Fred or Steve on that Falcon I sent pictures of to you.ROY.

2. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

I bought my roll bar kit from S&W race cars...14 point,but i will be adding more tube in some spots.great looking kit and great price too....Rooster

3. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. That is a cool video, I havent seen it yet!

5. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Might spur your build on. I don't know enough about US cars and classes, years etc but that vid and the links at the end have some cool stuff going on. May be wrong on years but at least you need to grab your laptop sit in your car and make brum, brum noises. In my ultimate 5 car garage i'd have an FX build car for sure.

Glad you liked it

:cool:

6. Got some cool stuff in the mail today!(thank you MoneyMaker).

Roy I spoke to chassisworks yesterday about the rear bars. They said per NHRA rules they can not be rebent to a different degree. I read the rule book but did not see anything about the angle of the rear bars, maybe i missed it. They said some tracks like Bakerfield will usually let it slide, but the safety guys at other tracks may not. I just ordered them the way they appear on the website, they still go through the package tray though.

Attached Files:

7. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Mike,
    nice progress. By the way those gaps like fender/door (I think you said 1/8")may need to be opened up a bit. We experienced a good bit of expansion when car sits in sun. Also that Crites trunk lid worked out pretty good....used a stock Ford inside cable release....thanks
    dan

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I think you will be very happy with your new rear suspension.I had not heard about the issue with the rear bars,Ken[mercuryjunky]has been all over the country racing his 9 second Comet,never been denied.I have had guys ask me about my door bars having a kick in them,again,never been an issue at any NHRA tracks.Better safe than sorry I guess,rumor has it we may lose another track here in So.CA.! I hope you know your cage needs to be TIG welded,no grinding of welds or blending with filler. ROY.

9. Well got some more stuff done today. The old 8" and old leaf springs out! The new 9" and new calvert mono leaf springs/ cal tracs in today for fitting. I forgot how much a pain the rear shakle bushings can be!

The new rear end is about 1/4 wider, also the spring perches are on 42" centers instead of the needed 43", I guess i will have to take it over to the rear end shop to have new perches welded on :mad:. I thought about just reaming out the hole on the perches a 1/2" on either side, but then they dont sit flush side to side on the leaf spring, so the u bolts wont sit straight either.

Also the tires I will be running will cause some interference in the front of the wheel well. I was thinking of just following the wheel well opening and cutting the front, back about 1 3/4 inches. I saw what fast eddie did on his as well to retain the stock look, i am not sure which way to go yet. I may even see if i can get the rear end shop to drill centering holes on the perches an inch forward to move the entire rear back to clear the tires? Opinions are welcomed!

Enjoy the pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  10. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I don't think the locating holes being off that little will hurt anything.I ran mine that way for many years until I switched to coil overs.The factory cars like a T-bolt or Comet/Falcon just trimmed the rocker below the body seam,I did that trick too.Dale Snoke runs Mopar SS leaf springs that have the pin 1" back.I wonder if moving the axle back 1" won't upset the geometry of your bars?Maybe call Calvert next week about both issues!!I just noticed the bottoming stop,GET RID of it,it WILL cut your tire!! ROY.

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I cut and moved the front of the wheel well opening forward AND moved the rear end back 1" I moved the leaf spring forward mounting holes back 1 inch and used the stock rear location But I didnt use the Cal Tracs I used Crites Tbolt bars and crossmember

Attached Files:

12. Roy and Russco Thank you! I just ordered my wheels and will get my tires mounted, that is the smart way i believe, to get the proper rear end width. So once I get my tires/ wheels mounted i will set them up in the well and see how they line up. I also left a message with Calvert Racing today about the length of the bar issue.

I put the rear end on the front mounting hole of the leaf spring pad which moved it back 1 1/2 inches, holding the tires in place it will clear the front with no problems, I just dont know if it looks right, I think these cars look better with the rear shoved forward, not back! I will wait to hear from Calvert racing before I do anything else..

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;Calvert and his crew are great,hands on,guys! I agree,I like the wheels forward,JMO. ROY.

14. Hiboy_32

Hiboy_32

Hey fiveoh108,
    Ever been in contact with Billy at Belmont's R & C? He was a former parts guy at a big Boston area dealership, and now deals in hi-perf street and nostalgia racing equipment. One of the few real speed shops left in the world of corp. franchises. He knows his part numbers! that's for sure. PH: (781) 326-3270

email: [email protected]

You Falcon street racer is right on!! Tell 'em hiboy32 sent you.

15. Fast Eddie, Hopefully I can give you a run for your money someday, you have a bad looking car! I think I decided on Praire Bronze for my car, a little differnt, but still a cool factory color. I attached a picture of a 65 in that color.

Hiboy I have never talked with BIlly, but will keep him in mind when I have some questions, because I always like bouncing ideas off those who have been there done that.

I got a couple presents today when I got home from work- Subframe connectors, Calvert Racing rear axle pads, Hurst handle with line lock button, line lock install kit, electric water pump and new 1 wire Ford style 100 amp alternator....Kind of a random collection of stuff, but I found a lot of "end of the year" sales and figured I should get the stuff while the price is right.

I also did some more measuring for the rear end. I think I am going to shorten it 1 inch on each side to make it 56" from wheel mounting pad to wheel mounting pad. The 7 inch cragars will fit without this mod, but I have to go through it anyway so I figured I would give myself some room to grow. Also the current spring pads are on 42" centers, so I am going to have the calvert pads mounted on the correct 43" center. And lastly, I am going to have the pinion moved 1 inch to the drivers side to have in line with the trans output. I may have got a line on a new nodular "N" case 9" third member as well.....We will see in a couple days.

Mike

Attached Files:

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I like that color!!It sounds like you are making headway on your build.If you get around Fast Eddie just watch out for the Moonshine,he will tell you it improves your reaction time!!!!Just a suggestion,is the pinion centered now,if not ,and you want to narrow the rear a total of 2",you may not need to narrow one side and only the long side. ROY.

17. Yea Roy that is what I was thinking, slide the pinion over by taking 1 inch off the drivers side then having the perches rewelded at the 43" center. That should save some time/ money at the rear end shop...Now just to find some strong, somewhat affordable axles!

18. Started working on installing the Crites subframe connectors, they dont go through the floor as i originally thought, but butt up next to so i can lay a weld there. Also think i might run some lateral supports from the connectors to the rocker panels (Roy's suggestion). I had to cut reliefs in the seat braces for the connectors to fit tight to the undercarriage as well.

I also got my rear cragars today and got my tires mounted, I will get some pictures of that up later today.

Attached Files:

19. Here are some pictures of the one I did and sold.. all hand lettered it was a race car most of its life!

Attached Files:

20. Kelly's:

Diggin the Falcon!

Fast Eddie

21. Thinkin I need to get busy on the wagon project!
    [​IMG]

22. 65COMET

65COMET

FAST EDDIE;how about I haul my wagon up there and we build them both? One wicked fast[yours]and one Kruizer[mine],is there heat in the shop?Room for my trailer? Sorry Mike,we seem to have hijacked your thread!!!!ROY.

23. Keep the cool cars coming its all good with me!

24. Roy:

I hear ya brother, I was over at the shop last night freezing my ass off finshin up that fuelie engine for my buddy. You CA guys have it made with all the warm weather! I need to get on the wagon so Ken will quite busting my balls!!!

[​IMG]

25. Need to to stick the old Cross Ram on the Wagon huh Roy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  26. 65COMET

65COMET

FAST EDDIE;that would be TOO KOOL!!! Might not be the fastest but would be the best looking!!!! ROY.

27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

First off fiveoh you have a bitchin falcon I really dig your build. Not trying to hijack your thread but fast eddie you gotta school me on that stacked cammer motor I got a 4.6 5speed in a 62 galaxy that is begging for some injector stacks like that

Thanks

28. low-down-n-dirty

low-down-n-dirty
    BANNED
    from ohio

29. I got my main rollbar hoop this week. I also got my N Case ford 9" with a detriot locker, 4.30 gears and a billet 1350 yoke! Finished mocking up the rear tires/ wheels. Off todriveshaft ear end housing shortened tomorrow and new perches installed!

Next order of business will be to clean the bottom of the car off with a wire wheel, paint it as well as the new rear springs and gas tank in anticpation of the rear end being re-installed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012