Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Coupe Deville... who built it? and wheel ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by graverobber63, Sep 6, 2012.

1. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

A good friend of mine just scorred this MINT '64 Coupe Deville. We have no information on the car and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, who restored it, where it came from. We suspect it was done by Boyd Coddington, there was an autographed picture in car that looks like his signature on it. The car also has those aweful billet wheels with custom engraved centercaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for wheels, what do you guys think of wide whites and Astros or Caddy tru spokes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bob-o

bob-o

I'm just gonna say this one more time.... PEOPLE NEED TO STOP PUTTING WIDE WHITES ON FIVE SPOKES. UGLY. AS. FUCK. It is a modern trend caricaturizing the 50's and incongruously smashing it together with the 60's. And on top of that, not only have I never seen b.i.t.d. pics of a set of 5-spokes wrapped in wide whites (or met anyone who was there telling me that they saw it first hand), '64 Cad's didn't even come from the factory sporting them!

I present to you exhibit A)
    [​IMG]
    Though admittedly, they're wider than what we call "skinny", they are by no means "wide".

I'm sure there are are exceptions, BUT... Wide whites look good on 30's, 40's and 50's cars. With VERY few exceptions to that rule :mad:

But yeah, really. A Caddy needs wires cuz they're classy n shit.

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

Uh can you say custom, and take a pill dude. It's not your car, therefore not your taste.
    I like the Astros, but I would go true spokes just to be different. If he can do it down the road, he should do both style of wheels and change them out whenever he feels like it.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont think you can call that car a custom

5. bob-o

bob-o

It's called an opinion and he asked for them, dude. I'm sorry, but wide whites on 5 spokes are not "kool", they look stupid.

And yes, I can say "custom". It's pretty easy when someone shows you how, thanks for the english lesson, brah! Also, you can rest assured, I took my pill(s) this morning, otherwise I wouldn't have been quite so diplomatic :p

6. Cortney

Cortney

IMO, wide whites on 60's Caddy's look good with original wheel covers or spokes. I'm not too big on Supremes on Caddy's, but if they are on them, skinny whites look better.

7. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

This thread went to heck in 1 comment. Is that a record?

8. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I agree that wide whites after '61 arent really "correct" but I think they look good in this case. The car just needs a wheel update and we are looking for opinions on what he should run. Steelies and caps arent out of the question either.

Anyone recognize it as a Boyd build? I mean the body is FLAWLESS. It's lazer straight, every gap is perfect and it has a mirror reflection buried in a ton of clear.

9. squirrel

squirrel

he's right about the wide whites, they look wrong on boxy cars from the 60s.

I don't see anything "custom" about that car, aside from being lowered and having different wheels and tires. Could just be a really nice restoration.

10. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Getting rid of the wide whites isn't out of the question either, I think a medium 1 1/2" or 2" would look better personally.

5 spokes with wide whites can look cool on the right car too Bob

[​IMG]

11. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

I like the wide whites on the car- it gives a little contrast when on an all black car. If it were mine, I'd spring for the Caddy wires, or run a set of steel wheels and caps. Astros and skinny whites wouldn't look bad either, it all depends on what direction you want to head with it. And with any of these combinations, I'd be inclined to drop the back to level the car off since it looks like it sits with a little bit of a forward rake. Thats my 2 cents.

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Bob-o isn't wrong, wide whites on 5 spokes look like you couldn't make up your mind what you wanted. Caddy wires and skinny whites, or star-wires and pinners.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. bob-o

bob-o

And I agree. As I said, there are exceptions. But for me, its just something that is just ingrained into my psyche. I've seen it work on a few hot rods in recent years. It even grew on me after seeing Eryk's '53 Olds with the www's and Radirs. It was said earlier that www's and caps look good on some 60's cars and I can get behind that too. But for the most part and especially where 60's cars are concerned? Blech.

14. weez

weez

I don't like too wide a whitewall on 5-spokes, and I don't think they're right on a Cad of that year, but geez! They look great on the Singapore Sling-

You guys need to look at almost every R&C and HRM from '60-'63- you'll see plenty of examples of mags with ww's! Not that you have to like it, but it IS correct for the early '60s!

Of course when it's done with mags and tire styles that didn't exist back then, it starts to get goofy really quickly-

Some combos look bad, some look good. Like always, comes down to good taste and knowing your shit-

15. VonKool13

VonKool13

Putting different wheels on any vehicle that didn't come factory with them is technically a "custom" change. I didn't say it is a "traditional custom". Your pill obviously isn't working. Like Weez said, "comes down to...knowing your shit". :)

16. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

this looks killer! LOVE the wheels

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"As for wheels, what do you guys think of wide whites and Astros or Caddy tru spokes?"

I think that car is too new for wide whites.

I think wide whites and any type of aluminum wheel looks bad on anything but chromed out early 60's style SHOW RODs.

18. bob-o

bob-o

Dude, with a name as trite as "vonkool13", I can't even take you seriously. Try aiming your ill concieved jabs at someone who gives a shit about your opinion :rolleyes:

Besides, its clear to me that you only read what you wanted to read from Mr. Weesner's post. Try reading it again with your blinders off. He was neither condemning nor condoning either side of the debate. He stated a fact and offered his opinion. And for the most part, I agree with his view point.

But having grown up with late 60's style customs, I'm admittedly biased.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  19. My opinion, I love Supremes with pinner whites, but it is hard to beat a Caddy with wires. Doesn't Jimmy Vaughn's run Buick wires? Love that car...

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I think wide whites look at home on pretty much any luxury car, regardless.
    Hell, I think they look good on everything.
    If I could get some for my riding mower, I would.

21. bantam

bantam

On a less grumpy note, I am really digging the '64 Caddy two-doors after seeing those pics. My previous impression of caddies was always "big", but a lowered two-door really changes the look. Very cool.

As for the wheels, they do look a little Boyd-ish (not a compliment).

22. TexasDart

TexasDart

Big whites are too white...:)

23. Cortney

Cortney

The green one is a four door incase you didn't notice. That's the beauty of the "Sedan Deville"! No post four door!

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thin whites and wires.

25. codeblu

codeblu

I'll get flamed for this, I don't like cheap looking wheels on Caddies...Lincolns...or Buicks. Astros were not the expensive wheels back in the day. Luxo-rides need an upscale wheel. The rich kid buying the Caddy or Riviera back in the day "probably" wouldn't have cheaped out on the wheels. Flame on.

26. VonKool13

VonKool13

Take your blinders off "cool guy", he asked for opinions so HE GIVES A SHIT about my opinion. You really are a simpleton if you can't figure out my name is a jab at all the "try hards" who can't come up with an original name. And Weesner was pointing out your incorrect original statement. I know it's hard for you to admit your wrong. You can't come back now and say you agree with Weesner just because he's Weesner, you didn't think people ran WWW with 5 spokes in the 60's before. Stop your clear denial about the A-hole you really made yourself out to be with your angry comments and your flip flop views on how it was "back in the day". I'm done with you.

Question for the OP, did your boy figure out what wheels he wants to run?

27. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

I dont think wide whites always look bad either.....

Attached Files:

28. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

We are looking now, I think to keep that classy look a set of steelies and nice caps are the best option if he decides to keep the wide whites, or go skinny white with Sabre wheels, tru spokes, astros etc...

Anyone in the SoCal are recognize this car? or who know who restored it??

29. bob-o

bob-o

I wasn't agreeing with his statement about magazines in the early 60's (I've yet to see vintage pictures of a car running www's on 5 spokes), I was agreeing with his opinion about wheel/tire combo's on the right car, era specificity, etc. I even said in my original statement that nowadays there are exceptions, few as them may be. Also, I never said that it didn't happen, only that I've never seen it.

And as far as my comment about your opinion, I was talking about your unwarrented personal comments made towards me. You don't like someone's opinion about a car, so you make flippant comments about the person? You made a stupid comment, so I tried to make a joke about it. You made another, so I decided to make my own stupid comment towards you. Pretty simple really.

30. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

BTT

No one knows what shop restored this car???

[​IMG]