Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 770 rambler gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mopar210, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mopar210

mopar210

ok folks , the 29 hemi A is gone , just picked up the rambler , im going to start a build thread here today . just some gegining pics of the start . hoping this will be a stroked 400 (500 ci) 3 pedal straight axle , missle . leaving the guts the oem color and the skin should be 2011 gm pearl white , should be a fun build (talked my brother into a joint project , he is the paint and body talent) later -todd

Attached Files:

2. That will be an awesome machine - Big Mopar power!

Just so the chebby guys understand, Mopar made a big block 400 that has a huge bore and when you add a stroker crank you have a long rod monster that is reliable and makes more torque and horsepower than most people can handle.

3. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I like your body choice ! I'll be watching this one. Please keep us posted often .:D

4. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Those old Ramblers are pretty cool!
    Good luck with the build!!

Jim

5. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

curious to see how this turns out, sounds like a good plan to me. dare to be different i always say!

6. mopar210

mopar210

and the paint stripping and cleaning starts , found a 4 speed trans this week , the new carpet arrived today , found a set of rambler pedals for brake and clutch , also may not have to tub the rear , looks like tires and wheels should fit with about 1" past the qtrs . if i keep this up the wife will make me sleep in the man cave - i do have lots of beer and a furnace , may have to sleep in the rambler ! man is this thing in nice shape , good to see clean metal .

Attached Files:

7. rambling

rambling

good luck on the rambler project. Im having a blast with mine

8. mopar210

mopar210

some progress this weekend , deck and hood stripped , fenders almost stripped , got some more stuff cleaned up and THE STRAIGHT AXLE arrived today . im getting the engine mounts figured out tonight so i can reposition the cross member (some slotted holes and speedway small square mounts) this thing should fit fine . deciding on wheels for the front , either torque thrust 4" w/550/15 hoops or the old school round 5 spoke cragar in 4" with same hoops (my brother and i are in talks) rears should be mopar slotted steel 15x10 painted silver . we also decided on the final outside color -2011 silverado pearl white/with gold flake .

Attached Files:

9. mopar210

mopar210

making some headway on the rambler . got the axle under it and mocked up the rear . looks like the 8 3/4 chrysler will fit without any cutting . got the spring relocation kit and the rear shackle kit for the springs . got the steering box mounted this evening (looks good !) made a plate to move box forward 2 inches and down 20 degrees . now to hook up the steering . next step is getting the deck lid , hood and fenders in primer , mock up the trans and build the z bar for the clutch , and get the hole cut for the shifter . got the pedals mounted (out of a 1965 marlin) and the clutch rod made . fuel cell is purchased and got a hell of a deal in carlisle on a 975 cca mopar repo battery , also picked up a rambler outside mirror with the R on it . we also have decided on the final paint color , kick ass white pearl with muted silver flake .

Attached Files:

10. Thom.high

Thom.high
    from Oregon

Think you've convinced me on the direction I need to go on my 68 American. Thanx........I think:-0

11. mopar210

mopar210

well folks , a little update . got up early and headed out to summit and did a little shopping . got some stuff done today , arm rests pained , battery cut out switch mounted , battery tray completed , fuel cell straps done and mounted , gauges mounted and the straight axle welds completed (ready to go back in now) next step is to mock up the rear diff and get spring mounts welded in and diff mounted . my brother got both front fenders painted and buffed this weekend (3 stage pearl white with silver flake-and he said its "sick") front and rear seats are getting re done (took them last weekend) at this time - im using barracuda short backs and stock rear seat and having done in maroon simulated leather (newly released material i purchased from a good customer -this stuff is really nice !) . more later TODD

Attached Files:

12. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Looking good , don't lose your momentum, and keep us posted w/updates. :D

13. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looks cool/good ! Keep us posted.

14. mopar210

mopar210

got a little done this weekend . got the old school heater/defrost mocked up and in place , got the seat risers , oil pan and the steelie wheels painted , my brother finished the deck lid and cowl and front bumper filler , got the floor done and starting to undercoat the inside , got all sound deadner ready to go in . just like eating an elephant - 1 bite at a time .

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      212.1 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      219.3 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      291.8 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      237.6 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      184.7 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      128.7 KB
      Views:
    • 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      159.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Ole'32

Ole'32
    from Arizona

Hey man love your rambler project! Will watch as you progress. Sure wish I had your go and was further along on my project (s). Best of luck on the remainder of the build.

Bryson

16. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Altered wheelbase !!!

Wouldn't it be cool as grits if it was possble to convert that speedo to be a tach ???!!!! The big wide sweep would be awesome !!!

17. Is this a unibody car?? You doing anything to join up the subframes? I remember one horror story we went through with a Vega once.....

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Gnarly. Looks like a fun project

19. mopar210

mopar210

yes it is a unibody , we are going to run 2x2 from front to rear (we did the same on my brothers big block dart about 16 years ago and it still takes a beating) we are also putting ladder bars and a mopar rear spriing location kit wit lots of support . thanks todd

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Cool car. I like the direction it's going

21. mopar210

mopar210

got my carbs and intake this week , got them cleaned up and could not resist doing a little "mock up" - not sure how high its going to be but this is close . things are moving pretty good .

Attached Files:

22. mopar210

mopar210

little more progress- got the mock up motor set in , fits perfect . got the trans and rear diff yesterday , time to mock it up - too much fun right now !

Attached Files:

23. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

This thread is KILLER and thanks alot for not going the"chivvy" route. I'm a dyed in the wool AMC freak and prefer AMC power,but a BB Mopar is bad ass and def. thinking out side the box!

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

25. trashn'l

trashn'l

Nice work. I love the Mopar in a Rambler combo!

26. mopar210

mopar210

got some imortant "stuff" done the last 2 weekends . got the steering and clutch z bar all mocked up , got the the rear spring mounts fitted and ready weld in place , got the flywheel turned and the cyl heads done and ready to pick up . also im picking up the seats tonight , they are all done . also the headers are going to work after a little shoe horn work , i also was able to get 2 clutch forks to make one good out of this weekend and should have it done saturday . things are moving along pretty well . todd

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      141.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      140.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      145.1 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      145.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      140.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      146 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      143.1 KB
      Views:
  27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I love what I am seeing here in this build . I am glad to see a Mopar under the hood and not the usual orange shit-ass engines most people tend to use today for some reason . I have owned many Mopars too so I like them a lot . A 4 speed trans is always a good way to go .

I am hoping to start my 50 Ford gasser build this winter hopefully . I will be using a 1970 Ford 429 in mine with a 4 speed toploader close ratio trans and 4.88 rear ! Trying to keep it period correct as much as possible . Going to build it on the cheap since I don't have much $$$ to build a big high HP engine with a blower on top . I am going to have a ton of fun just like you are going to be doing as well . Keep us posted .
    Keep up the good work !

Retro Jim

28. n847

n847

Subscribed...I love 64's!! I want an ambassador something fierce!
    I tried to buy a clapped out project/parts car off my boss a few years ago but I was a day late. Keep it up this is really nice!

29. chevman1

chevman1

hey man where did you get the axle assmbly at and how much you can email me at [email protected] I'm working on a 66 american

30. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota