Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964-1966 Chevy C10 Inline 250 Vacuum Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Mar 20, 2013.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

Hey guys, quick question for you out there with the knowledge or truck books with diagrams. I am looking to significantly reduce the 6 to 10 feet of vacuum hose that is currently going from the carb, tee-ing off to the distributor and going to the powerglide in the passenger side of the engine compartment (which currently wraps over the tail shaft of the powerglide to the modulator). Does anyone know the original routing of the vacuum line? I was looking and was not able to locate an additional vacuum port on the intake so I can shortcut the vacuum line. Is there another port or area that is supposed to have a nipple on it for me to do this?

I am currently going through the hoses on this '64 C10 and found several of them have HUGE vacuum leaks to the tune of me touching them and desentigrating like a saltine cracker. I have also found that the vacuum lines going to the distributor and the powerglide are either rusted through or cracked, so this is causing the transmission to not shift correctly. Additionally the previous owner tuned the carb in without checking to find a vacuum leak, so it is currently overfueling to compensate.

2. 1959apache

1959apache

It looks like there is a metal line to the distributor from the carb that follows the contour of the valve cover forward, then it goes inbetween the water jacket and valve cover, then to the distributor where it tees off into a rubber hose then follows the passenger side of the engine back, wraps over the tail shaft and to the power modulator.

Is there a reason why they originally put a metal tube from the carb to the distributor? heat maybe??

Have any of you teed off right after the carb to go to the powerglide?

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

On my 250 there is a little T for vacuum below the rear side cover on the passenger side. That way there is just a short piece of line (maybe 6 in long) straight to the distributor. Don't know if that helps?

4. 1959apache

1959apache

It does, do you happen to have a picture?

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'll grab one when I get out to the garage.

6. Joe H

Joe H

They always used steel line for vacuum. It easier to keep in place. Even most V8 used steel from carb to distributers even though it was a short distance.

Think how much more would have been needed to hold a rubber line in place for years compared to a steel line with just a few clamps.

On the 250's, all the distributer lines went around the front following the fuel lines, easy to hold them together as one. I believe the trans line went around the back of the valve cover and down the trans dipstick or close to it, to the modulator.

This is not exactly what you have, but shows some examples of how the lines were routed,v http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/CB/full.aspx?page=125

Joe

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  7. 1959apache

1959apache

Are you using just brake line for it? I am already swinging the steel line route. There is a big rubber line from the fuel pump to the carb so I am going to have to replace that too, probably with steel. I didn't know that about the routing, but now I do, so that will make it much easier.

Thanks for the link Joe, I checked it and I can see what you are looking at. Anyone else have any pictures of this?

8. 1959apache

1959apache

all I see are red X's

9. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Here's that vacuum port

[​IMG]

10. 1959apache

1959apache

So this goes to the distributor, where it T's off and also goes to the carb with the metal tube? Are you running a PCV still? what are you using for the cap that is also a breather?

11. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

It's still a project right now. Stock it was a metal tube that went to the carb. Since I'll be running 2 carbs, I'm going to have to figure a different way. I was just showing an option for vacuum.

12. 1959apache

1959apache

I like it. I will have to find out if I can buy something like that at one of the cookie cutter stores around here, slim pickins for finding someone that knows anything about cars working at these places. Thanks for the picture