Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 mercury monterey a/c question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63 breezeway, May 19, 2018.

1. 63 breezeway

63 breezeway

I have a 63 Monterrey. I put a 1967 ford 390 from a f100 in it. my Merc still has the original a/c compressor which is bad. I have researched and found that 67 mustangs with 390 came with a/c. would this work in my merc. I have under-dash a/c

2. Moby55

Moby55

Most Fords (and Merc) in the 1960's used a York type compressor. The basic compressor went on to become a Borg Warner and were used in aftermarket add on A/C units and even AMC used York compressors. Most of these will interchange as long as the screw on fitting on the compressor head was the same size. Also there were changes in the clutch and belt pulley arrangement but the basic compressor is the same. I have also seen these used as an on board air compressor on off road rigs, very simple and strong two cylinder pump.

3. You can also get a mount that bolts to the original engine ac mount. This allows you to use the Sanden 508 compressor. Uses less of your horses.

4. 63 breezeway

63 breezeway

I have found the mount kit for the Sanden 508 compreesor. Will the fitting be the same on the sanden as the york, or do I need to replace everthing

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

6. I wonder if you are better off getting a retrofit Vintage Air system. Even if you get the old compressor mounted up, still have R-12 , old seals, old evaporator, old fan, old condenser, expansion valve... etc...

7. 63 breezeway

63 breezeway

8. 63 breezeway

63 breezeway

Thanks for your help. Found a mount and sanden on EBAY .Mounted up nicely. Had to switch pulley to dual groove. Found one from 68 f100 that did the Trick. 112 degrees here today, Nice to have A/C .Rebuilt the under dash /hang on unit and it works great! Bonus with the sanden is the extra horsepower and you can see the engine we spent so much time on without that cinder block style york mounted in there.