Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 Cadillac rear disk breaks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greezy63, Nov 4, 2013.

1. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

I have installed scarebird's front disk brakes but I was wondering if anyone knew of a rear disk brake swap. I know I can buy a kit for $800-$900 but I was looking for something a little more budget friendly.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

On most vehicles, the front brakes do up to 70% of the braking effort. I realize rear disc brakes have become popular, but you will likely not gain much, if anything, from converting to rear discs.

However, if you must have them, I would look at later GM full size rear drive vehicles and pickups for a source. They also share the 5 x 5" wheel bolt pattern of your Caddy.

3. Unless I am mistaken, your Cadillac has a fairly unique rear. As well has gearing in the very low 3's to upper 2's.

This alone makes it hard to convert by changing axles.

Add to that the rather effective stock brakes, and it is doubtful any gain would be had.

Cosmo

4. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

Thanks for the advice guys... I'm in the middle of making motor mounts and getting that beast 500 to fit in my boat. Rear disk brakes might add a little too much to my plate right now... It's good to dream though.

Buy the ticket take the ride

5. On a budget maybe like a 1980s pickup/Suburban 10-bolt with 79-81 F-body discs (also a 10-bolt) could be cobbed up. Depends just how wide it needs to be. But it's probably overkill, as noted, unless you're thinking of road racing the car or something.