Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963.5-1964 Ford galaxie 500xl

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brodbeckh, Jul 13, 2021.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There's plenty more...to long to list because I'll forget somebody.
    What comes to mind...
    Dennis Carpenter
    Sacramento vintage Ford
    Concours as mentioned
    Dearborn Classics
    (Macs) Ecklers for some stuff...I really prefer the smaller guy though
    off course Speedway, Jegs and Summit
    National Parts Depot might have some stuff...
    Even some of the A and Early V8 folks have some things...like Van Pelt.

Like I said, it's a Ford and Fords have support.

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Correct....I read it wrong.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I've thought about this Corncob. I believe it's a Southern thing. Not that we intend to drive them that fast but nearly always the first question is.....
    How fast will it go.

It's kind of how we judge cars.
    ....case in point...
    What Model car is this?
    "It's a 1921 Model T Runabout."
    How fast will it go?
    " With the wind behind you going down hill, maybe 45 to 50."
    In that?! Sounds terrifying.
    " 35 is terrifying, that's as fast as I have gone but only on a good road."

1964 390XL with a 3to1 rear......
    That joker will freaking fly!

Texas57 likes this.
  4. 62rebel

62rebel

i've owned two 63.5's and I both love and hate them. I love the looks and the power available but I hate the work to get even a MILDLY rusty one up to snuff. and EVERYTHING down here is a rust bucket.

5. The car does not look that bad if it is complete. Count on all the window rubber being toast, all of that is available. Severe rust would get my no vote. The chassis should be good, these were not known for rotting badly unless it saw salt exposure.

Doing the interior over would be a big cost, I'd bet it is a mouse house which indicates the wiring could be chewed up. These are fairly easy cars to replace the harness if it is bad.

6. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

If this is THE car you want and if the rust is not bad and if it has a title in a title state and if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a reasonable goal for it, buy it. When I was 19 in 1987 I bought an OT '69 Camaro that had no interior, engine or front clip. It had been sitting since 1977. Parts availability was OK then but not what it is now (although some was still available from GM). I hunted down the parts it needed and re-built the suspension. Put it all back together. Built a 327, bought a used Muncie 4-speed. Took about a year. I learned a LOT from that. There was no internet. I read the shop manual or asked older friends how to do things. You can't put a price on a life experience. Assuming it is a decent solid car I would look at it as a learning experience, not an investment. Now, if the floors/underside are gone and/or the frame is excessively rusty then RUN away. I will add that I was absolutely committed to finish. Failure was not an option. I really really wanted one. If you are not 110% all-in with a reasonable goal, then don't bother.

7. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

MARKDTN (Mark D Tennesee???) has a lot of great points. Now that I've watched Roadkill a bunch of times I'm sort of in the "get it running" camp. Derek on ViceGripGarage YT channel finds junk...err, cars like this and gets em running and drives them home.
    When I was 16 I bought a '65 Polara ex CHP car less ragged than the one below. It had a 413 and a 727 and it hadn't run in years. It had sat outside in our desert climate for about 5 years and was pretty crispy. I paid $250 for it ($1200 in today's mini dollars) and got it running. It rattled and tapped and knocked. I put trans fluid in the crankcase and let it idle for several sessions to unstick all the stuck lifters and God knows what else. Got it to sound drivable and the brakes sort of worked and the 727 just needed Jenner fluid. That Polara smoked so bad I had no choice, I had to do something with the motor.
    My Dad and I pulled the heads and the pan and honed and re ringed it in place. New bearing inserts, a valve job and all new gaskets and she ran strong. Really strong. But the brakes were crappy and my driving was worse. But that is a different story. I put a stereo in it, fresh tires. My Mom and I reupholstered the front bench seat with some snazzy dark blue "Naugahyde®" Ha! We'd pile a bunch of guys in that car and hit the cruise strip or the drive in.
    If I were you and you can get it titled and can buy it right, I'd try a Roadkill style get it running and go from there approach. Worked for me.

65 Polara.jpg