Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 buick special brake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leachafreak, Oct 1, 2010.

1. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

put on all new wheel cylinders, rebuilt single master cylinder, all lines are good, bled also but can't get any brake pedal pressure. can anybody please help.

2. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

did you adjust the brakes before you bled?

3. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

No, how and why does that effect pedal preasure? When hold pedal to the floor i can't turn the drums by hand. But pedal is still to the floor. Do you know if this single master cylinder bleeds it's self when bleeding wheel cylinders or do you have to bench bleed it.

4. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Adjust the brakes. the farther the shoes are from the drums the further the wheel cylinders have to travel to engage the brakes. More wheel cylinder travel = more pedal travel.

5. Go back and bench bleed your master (it can be done on the car if you're 1/2 way slick) and adjust up your brakes. The brake adjustment gives you the pedal height. It makes bleeding the wheel cylinders easier.

You probably have a ton of air in your lines, so start with the longest line first and be patient.

Bob

6. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

I'll give these a shot thanks for the help. I did not know about the adjustment of the shoes to drums.