Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Ford Fairlane Paint Question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Sep 17, 2015.

1. I'm currently restoring a 1961 Fairlane and have decided to paint the roof white. My question is when Ford two toned these cars did they paint the tops of the doors and the window posts white of did the entire door and post remain the primary body color? I've seen it done both ways and would like to do it the correct factory way.

Thanks

2. town sedan

town sedan

Maybe find the bright window frames from a Galaxie? I know they will interchange on the '60 and think the same is true for the'61. From the factory I believe the "B" pillar and door tops would be the primary color. -Dave

3. I have access to the stainless for the window frames but want to keep them painted. Thanks for the info.

4. town sedan

town sedan

I know the stainless isn't right for the Fairlane. Was really putting that out if anyone else was interested. I would think a 1961 owners manual or sales literature would show the factory breaks. Sometimes that information can also be found in the shop manual. Sorry I'm not near my books and can't take a look.
    -Dave

5. Don't know if this is original, but...
    2357881_orig.jpg

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looked around a bit (on the net) to see if I could find a sales brochure or something with a pic of a white top, post car but didnt find anything.....could be a possibility that one way was factory and the other way was dealer painted???

I think I would prefer the body color post car but then again it may depend on what style car (4dr,2dr,wag etc.)and the actual body color of that car.

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    Honestly I cant tell if that's bright work on the center bar or white on this Meteor. In any case I feel it would interrupt the lines for the door tops and especially the B pillar to be painted body color.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a 62 Galaxie. As you can see it has bright work on the door frames. IMHO body color above the window line will clutter the lines. It may look good on a wagon or pick up truck but for a sedan, not so much?
    There may be a reason you are having a hard time finding out how Ford did it. The simple answer is maybe they didn't two tone or vinyl top those base sedans.

8. Ok, I've found this photo of a '60 Fairlane and the frames are painted. According to the Ford literature all models were available in two tone. I'm thinking this is the way my car should be done?
    1960_Ford_Fairlane_Coupe.jpg

9. town sedan

town sedan

I know I've seen the information some where, but just can't find it. I still think what you found on that 1960 would be correct on the 1961. Sorry I can't give you a definite answer. -Dave

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The door post on the light blue "60" fairlane 500 looks body color blue to me but cant really tell for sure[​IMG]
    ...but I say just do it the way you like it best.

11. Thanks guys. I appreciate your interest and help!!

12. loudbang

loudbang

Found this 62 looks like body color hard to tell.

[​IMG]