Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 studebaker gasser??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sir, Dec 11, 2007.

1. sir

sir

..I got an Idea about a small car I saw,a 1960 studebaker lark 2 dr post clean stright and thought "that would make a unique gasser project"...question does anyone have a picture of such a car? just for idea sake, possably with a stright axel front end?...thank you.

2. It would only be cool if you keep a Stude V8 in it.

Good Luck

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

I've seen pix of others... but here's one I've found...

Attached Files:

4. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Look for the Flintstone flyer.

5. skipstitch

skipstitch

That's the one I was thinkin' of....

Attached Files:

6. I wonder if that was us in the picture. Note the air under the front tires. What track was that one?

And yes, it is Stude powered.
    Stock-block 259 CID W/No blower.
    Outruns a lot of really big Brand X engines, and INCLUDING the Paxton equipped Studes.
    I have that well documented on video tapes.

Homemade 60's-70's style tuned tunnel ram intake w/Holley on top.
    Oversize Chevy valves.
    Ported Stude heads.
    AMC Jeep headers re-bent to fit Stude ports.
    T-10 4-speed crash box.
    Oldsmobile scattershield.
    Zoom clutch for Chevy.
    McLeod steel flywheel.
    Home made HEI ign.
    Leaf springs with ladder bars.
    10.5 slicks or wide street tires- depending....
    Missouri license plate on rear...sometimes.

Driven on the STREET.
    Including- Several trips from Missouri to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals (entered in the show 3 times) in DuQuoin ILL.

SOME OF THE RACES-- Indy GoodGuys, Sikeston MO, Wentzville Mo (winner), Benton ILL, Benton MO, Nashville TN (winner), South Bend In, a few other places that escape me at the moment.

Attached Files:

7. sir

sir

...thank you,I think I may just give it a shot over the winter...where would I find a stright axel front end?

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Picture of a '59 taken in around '67 or 8. I don't remember where the axle came from. I have a Challenger tube axle in my current car. In those days I thought Studebakers were susposed to have Hemi's in them. Still a good idea. Today I have two a Hawk with the stock Stude 289 and a Lark with a 383 SBC. For my next act I plan to put a Packard in a '52 Pickup. It's worthy of note that I removed the axle and installed a Mutang two IFS to get the truck down. I guess the point is anything but stock.

Attached Files:

9. brandon

brandon

didn't jungle jim start out in a lark...?? brandon :D

10. bulletnose

bulletnose

[​IMG]

( next ) Charlie Lehman's pro-Lark, Columbia Pa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pastorbc

pastorbc
    from kentucky

cool idea...there's a stock car like the one you're talking about siting in a guy's yard near me for the past 10 years or so...have thot of the same thing myself, but too many other projects. Bob

12. phat rat

phat rat

Original Flintstone Flyer was a 48 Packard

13. caseyajones

caseyajones

Larry Hale runs one out of Twin Falls, Id. Has a mild mannered Cad/TH400 with no line lock--de-tunes it to stay out of the 9's. Runs it at Boise and Las Vegas all the time. Larry has raced this same car for 30+ years. The last I talked to him, He hadn't opened the engine in two years. Also---those times are run with no power adders.

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

They make bitch'n modified productions, gassers, and especially street sleepers. Contrary to one of the opinions above, I don't think restricting your choices on motor at the get-go is a great idea. Decide what you want it to be, and make it happen. And, of course, keep us advised.

15. skipstitch

skipstitch

Speedway Motors sells a new set up... although Econoline or Early Chevy might work.

16. ronzy

ronzy

building a 63 2 dr pillar post lark .straight front axle 289 hawk motor comments [email protected] :cool:

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

That would be Fremont, late afternoon.

18. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Great car. Good home for a Packard V8 from a 56 Stude Golden Hawk. They sit pretty high you could still get the sleeper look with a straight axle I think. I had a Lark with 289, stick and the factory Posi "Twin Traction". It suprised a lot of people. Good luck.

19. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

There was one at the show I went to last week. I was convinced it was an original barn find but after talking to the owner it is a modern build made to look that way!

[​IMG]

20. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

I would like to do that to a 63. Any more older pics?

21. There were 2 Larks in my neighborhood that stick in my mind. One was a Pepto Bysmal pink Lark that I used to hitch a ride from school my freshman year in HS. 6 banger grandmas car. Nothing special.Then there was a deep green 327 4speed Lark owned by the evening manager at the Taco Time on Interstate Avenue in Portland that was incredibly fast and clean. Kinda the Jekyll and Hydes of Larkdom.

22. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

that black one smoked me in wentsville early on love those larks ....... iwas the orange rude stewed when we still raced for fun not just money..... bubs

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sounds like a solid plan!

24. sk_rodz

sk_rodz

Here is one that was at the Pumpkin Run this year.

[​IMG]

25. kennkat

kennkat

Yes Larry has run that Stude for decades.. He used to live in California. I knew him from my days working for Tommy Baker at Baker Automotive in Paramount, Ca. He used to drive & help maintain Mr Baker's "Catfish".... If you see him tell him Hi!:)

26. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Wow how 3 years change things. The 63 got slammed instead of receiving a straight axle. And, we found a 60 Lark that was raced and recieved a SBC swap in 1971.

27. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I bought three of these. 2 59 2dr sedans, one 2dr hardtop. The 59 sedan had the worst body/frame so it is now gasser in progress. studebaker 1  dress (17).jpg

Presently has a straight front frame extensions. Straight axle with Dodge A-100 spindles. Ford Mustang steering box. Six point cage. Home made glass hood, fenders front panel and bumpers.
    500 in BBC, fenderwell headders, 400 turbo trans,
    9in. ford rear, narrowed 11in. 14x4 front and 15x11 Ansen type wheels. M/T tires.

Will try to post more pics on build. Should be done next spring

28. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

A few construction pics SANY0190.jpg Inner trunk

SANY0192.jpg front fender mold.

studebaker 2  dress (6).jpg orig floors had to go new floor from firewall to taillight panel. 18ga.

SANY0203.jpg Hood fresh from mold.

29. kennkat

kennkat

Poor pic, but after 35+ years and 3 divorces this is about all the pix I have left.....
    This is a view of Tommy Baker's "Catfish" /AKA/ "Worlds Fastest Cadillac Powered Stude" If I remember correctly the quickest ET it ran was in the 9.80's, Larry Hale driving and the car had a pair of Dominators on it... Here it was running 10.10's with a pair of 660's. Also at this point it is being driven by Tommy's son, Blane, after it was converted to Hand Controls by he and myself. :):):) Were some really fun times...

Attached Files:

30. keithv

keithv
    from Flordia

Heres mine, not a gasser, but a sleeper none the less! 345hp 355sbc 350th 3.75-1 posi. Yeah this dog will hunt!

Attached Files: