Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 f100 short bed custom cab w/big window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, May 23, 2011.

1. No, I dont have the springs at all

2. johnboy13

johnboy13

I'll try to measure one for you tonight. You should at least be able to go to the junk yard and find something close.

3. Thank johnny13,I really appreciate it. I hope I can find some,I need to get this truck up running and out of the garage asap.

4. I blasted the tail light housings next door at work today. I was told to paint the oitside however but paint the inside a metallic silver? is that right?

5. johnboy13

johnboy13

Sorry I didn't get the spring dimensions, I forgot my calipers at work. You'll be happier if you spray the buckets gloss white.

6. Spray the inside white? I thought the silver would help reflect

7. johnboy13

johnboy13

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah, white works better than silver.

9. Joey7319

Joey7319

I don`t know if this helps but here is a pic with measurement of the hood spring. I have a 59 f250 and a 60 f100 custom cab. I will have to check, I have a wrecked 64 that may have the same springs.

Attached Files:

10. Joey7319, please do check if you would sell them to me that would be awesome!

11. Joey7319

Joey7319

I check on it and get back to you. If they are still there I will shoot a pm your way. You got to help out a fellow ford fanatic. Even more so when they have the same Truck. Gotta love a fridge.

12. Joey7319, thats right!! Thanks a bunch

13. I have been searching for a pair of rams horns exhaust manifolds for my truck so that I could do away with the crossover single exhaust and have true dual exhaust. Also from what I hear the crossover robs a bunch of power from the motor. So alittle over a week ago i found a complete 292 y block with ford o matic,rams horns,power steering,ac and already has alternator. I happened to stumble across it on the Inland Empire craigslist in California. The guy only wanted $250 for it and he said it ran great just leaed alittle. He pulled it out to replace with a big block if I can remember right.

So I gave him a call and he said that he would hold it for me, so I had to find a way to get it from hemet back to my place but my f250 eats up too much gas and I just couldnt do it. So for some reason a guy here on the hamb says a buddy of his needed a few parts for his 55 4 dr fairlane. Well his name is tim aka 55moredoor. If anyone does business with him he is a gret guy and im gld I met him. he drove from santa paula to hemet to pick up my motor then to sun city to pick up the hood for his car from a buddy of mine then back up to la mirada to drop off the motor to me.

So ended up meeting a really cool guy and got a really good deal on a motor for my 1960 f100 custom cab. The only thing is that the passenger side middle exhaust bolt was missing and I found out that the hole in the head is completely stripped out. would it be fine missing one bolt? Also he said this was out of a 1956 f100. The motor mount up front on my truck is different from the one on this motor Can I just swap them out and if so do I have to take the harmonic balancer off?

Well Im going to post a few pictures up here in a minute.

14. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

You can heli-coil the hole thats stripped out. Easier to do it now then when in the truck...

www.droppedaxles.com

15. Yeah that is true. Im just not sure how to go about getting them or installing them I have never done it before.

16. johnboy13

johnboy13

They sell them in a kit. It comes with the drill bit, the tap, the tool to install them, and a few heli-coils along with instructions on how to do it. Autozone sells them here in Rockford, IL. I'm not familiar with what size and pitch the exhaust studs are on that engine, but if you can get one out, you should be able to figure it out and get the kit to fix the stripped out hole.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...terByKeyWord=thread+inserts&fromString=search

17. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

It's real easy to do. It's like drilling a hole and tapping it.

18. Thanks johnny and 55 merc, the only bad thing is that one bolt will be much bigger then the others and wont I have to make the hole on my manifold bigger? If thats the case i wont run my rams horns

19. 56, when you heli-coil a hole, provided it is hasn't been drilled oversize in the past, it will return the hole to the original size that was there originally. The kits that have been mentioned are sized based on the original thread size, they include a drill, a tap (for the out side diameter/thread pitch of the insert) and an installation tool. I have used them numerous times and have never had a problem. Plenty of instructions online for installing heli-coils.

Jeff

20. Here are some pics

Old chrome valve covers,power steering,rams horns,ac and some weird of the motor oil filter setup
    [​IMG]

This is the new motor and mount
    [​IMG]

The old motor and the mount thst needs to be used on the new motor. Do i have to take the balancer off the crank to swap these?
    [​IMG]

That weird oil filter set up
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  21. Jeff, once again thanks a bunch. All of you have helped out alot on my truck build,

22. Well still waiting for the helicoil set and pay day.

23. It seems I spend more time waiting for payday than anything else... if only there were more paydays!:D

24. Sh*t isn't that the truth! haha. As soon as it comes its auomatically gone.

25. I think I will be pulling off the power steering and ac off of this motor and save the ac.for the 56.sedan im building.

26. The motor with the rams horns is the new motor for the truck but the front mount on it is different then the motor in the truck. Does anyine know what year it is and if for sure its truck? If i.swap out the mounts in front do I habe to.take off the front balancer?

27. Big Nick

Big Nick

Nice project. I am currently re-doing my 52 Chevy and I used KBS coating for the frame, its a great kit. There are some pictures of my frame on the last page or so here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602627

But I also know Rustoleum Rust Tough should work nice also.

28. Nick, thanks for the info. Where do I go about getting it? By the way I love your bike

29. Any 57-60 f100 or y block guys here? I really need to get the front motor mount and balancer situation taken care of.