Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Ford-O-matic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clint86, May 31, 2017.

1. Clint86

Clint86

I have a question for all of you Ford gearheads. I have a 1959 Fairlane original factory straight six automatic. Well last year I put the number 2 piston through the block (I've yet to determine why) and am getting ready to do a 302/T5 swap. Is the automatic worth anything? Would it be worthwhile to try selling it? I've heard in the past that they're not a very popular transmission. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I guess it depends on who you're asking... I still run one in my 59 ford wagon and it works great! But I'm sure a lot of guys don't run them... and Maybe it's worth something to a restoration guy. If nothing is wrong with it, it's definitely worth something to someone. They are hard to find parts for. Believe me I'd know... Haha If you were closer I'd maybe even consider it for a spare! Haha

3. bedwards

bedwards

Might be worth something to someone who wants a spare. I have one and a spare. It works well, seems to be pretty bullet proof for a 58 year old tranny

ModelAPunk likes this.
  4. I have a local Trans shop that is in 3rd generation and most locals go there with Vintage issues as well as the new front wheel drive stuff. It has become standard practice to donate our take out stuff to them. We git a good guy deal when it's our turn. When others need hard to find parts they don't start calling Guys like you and Me to find them. They go see Jo. It's a win win being we don't have a Bleeding hunk of Iron laying a in the way.
    The Wizzard

town sedan likes this.

5. A 1959 Ford 6 could have come with a 3 speed iron case transmission (FX) or a 2 speed aluminum case (PX) trans. Which one do you have?

6. Clint86

Clint86

I've got the aluminum PX trans.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. It may prove to be worth more as scrap....