Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 edsel ranger build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmnm, Mar 30, 2017.

1. I was told that the '59 Ford tank does not fit the Edsel. I don't know who sells one, but Spectra Tank makes most tanks for the after market industry. The '59 Ford passenger car tank is F34B. I was told that the filler neck was different. You could pull your tank and see how different it is, or use your Olds tank or the one Jim suggested. Rock Auto was the best price on my tank at $157 at the time, 2 years ago.

2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

[​IMG]
    I've got this 1959 9 passenger Villager that was a Kansas Patrol car.
    It's getting Wilwood four wheel disc brakes, a full front end rebuild, Aerostar springs, lowering blocks, and torque thrusts right now.
    I'm also swapping the 332 and 3 on the tree for a 428 and a T-5 and using Galaxie front buckets

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

[​IMG]

Found this on the drivers side windshield. I think it says"date of registration, state of Idaho, department of law enforcement" any ideas on what this is for?

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spooky and loudbang like this.
  4. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here are the original seats, as I said they are rough. But I thought I'd let you see! Here is what I'm thinking for the new upholstery when I get that done. What do you guys think? Please post more ideas or suggestions!! [​IMG]

loudbang and unclescooby like this.
  5. philo426

philo426

Putting a Cobra Jet in an Edsel wagon?Awesome!It should really scream despite it's weight !

Spooky, loudbang and unclescooby like this.
  6. bedwards

bedwards

This is the tank I put in mine. It fit fine and was similar in shape to the original. I had to shim it to the trunk floor and cut the filler neck and braze the old filler neck on to get the right angle and keep the right gas cap. I also vented it internally like the original with copper line. Forgot to add, I bought the sending unit for this tank also and it works well.
    .http://www.autocityclassic.com/1959-1964/1961-1964-galaxie-tank-ts22/

loudbang likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

The Chevelle tank also has the vent fitting, although it's in the wrong place, so needs some line run. The price ($100 vs 250) was what swayed me. If you have the money, get the Ford tank :)

Nice seats! original upholstery. The sticker is probably from a state vehicle inspection, they were popular back then

loudbang likes this.
  8. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Hi its the mad limey guy, got my 59 2 door Ranger 2 months ago so i am on with the work , mine had been hand painted satin black with a tar brush but under the paint is quite solid
    I have spent a lot of the time carfully wet sanding the black off the reveal good paint (white ) so i have sprayed the stripe gloss black and going to paint the roof black then just polish the white
    Mine has the 223 I6 so no thrills but should not be too bad on gas which is a lot more expensive over here
    You look to have found a solid one there with great patina good luck with the build and keep the photos coming , I will update mine soon aswell
    Cheers
    Dave

Hotrodmnm likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Peanut 1959 and Spooky like this.
  10. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

No, I hadn't seen that one but I really like the custom paint job. Speaking of paint, this is what mine looked like about 8 years ago. The previous owner (a guy in his 80s in Missouri) thought it would be a good idea to remove the doors, hood and trunk lid before having it painted. The guy he took it to painted the car and waited until the next day to mix the paint again and do the other parts and you can see what happened. So the old guy had to sand the whole car down again and this time left it all together so it all came out the same color....

PICT0012.JPG

Bruce Fischer and loudbang like this.
  11. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Did you guys see that this girl is only 15 years old and building her own car!!! How cool is that?!
    Good lck with your car, Hotrodmnm, and I love the red and white seat that you are thinking of.

12. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Thank you! Me and my dad have been doing this for as long as i can remember, I'm glad i've finally found the car I've wanted all this time. Thank you for your support!

~Hotrodmnm

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  13. Take it slow, bag and label anything you take off. It helps months later when you put it back together. There are lots of free or low-cost things to do like cleaning and painting. My '59 Ford, I had the complete interior out of it including the dash and windshield. There were a lot of parts to account for.

Bruce Fischer, loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  14. philo426

philo426

Yes!organization is key!You may not realize just how many parts a car has until you start taking it apart.

loudbang likes this.
  15. If you need parts and pieces, PM me. I found a guy local to me that is selling parts off of a 59.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So just an update, I have gotten the interior painted and ready for seats. I probably will leave it paint for a while. Seats will be put back in as is, until I can afford upholstery! I have also started sanding the paint off and getting it ready for primer! I have wire wheels I'm going to put on it, pictures to come soon!

~Hotrodmnm

17. squirrel

squirrel

stuff is getting done!

word of advice: remove that chrome stuff, like the grill, before using the grinder near it...it's so easy to mess up chrome. And mask off the windows when grinding near them, etc.

Just lessons I've learned the hard way

18. Squablow

Squablow

I second this, this is good advice. Plus, rust and flaky paint tends to be hiding behind chrome pieces like that so if you're going to strip and primer it it's best to have that stuff off and clean out behind them anyway.

brEad likes this.
  19. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Yes I thought about this, but where I'm not using a grinding wheel. I'm using more of a scotch bright wheel. I wasn't too worried about it

~Hotrodmnm

20. squirrel

squirrel

Scotchbrite will screw up the chrome as much as a grinding wheel will

DFH-GMC likes this.
  21. The bottom trim on the windshield and back glass goes in with the gasket, don't even try to remove it unless you're taking the glass out. The trim has a hooked edge on it that runs the length of the gasket. It fits into a slot in the gasket.

squirrel likes this.
  22. Like Squirrel says get that parking brake working. Ask me how I know . Check out my e brake on the 56 buick wagon on my mountain drive way, And that was even with it working. LOL. Bruce. 005 (4).JPG

23. Got to LOVE thoses station wagons!!!!Bruce.

24. BUMMER!!! Bruce.

25. Squirrel.I found that out when grinding on my Olds station wagon.Glass doesnt like grinding sparks. Bruce.

brEad likes this.
  26. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Correct. She is removing all the side chrome and trim leaving the window chrome and the grill and bumpers at this point. Taping of any chrome left. The goal is to get as much dead paint and surface rust as possible get it into primer so.we can get the body work started while still being able to drive it. Then when she decides a color we will strip the car for paint. She wants to try to drive it to some shows while she is working on it. She is doing a great job.

27. My '59 Ford is in primer... which pisses people off. I love it. I'm still doing heavy work on it so I can't have nice paint yet.
    629-016.JPG

28. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

You must be Dad. Yes, she is doing a great job......as you are in guiding and helping her !
    Enjoy this time with her.

29. Spooky

Spooky

Solid car, man!!! Great start.