Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Your Nomad is coming along nicely! A warm day sitting like that should let it relax quite a bit. All new insides should feel real nice to get into, besides how great it looks! ;) I dig wagons...:)

2. Great news. You're going to really enjoy that.

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, I really hope a warm afternoon out in the sun will do the trick.
    Thanks

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well the Ciadella video said to now try to go too fast on the headliner. I'm following that part really well. The first pass stretching (including taking the front 1/4 down the get a missed tabs) all around is done and hope the forecast for Sat. holds for dry and warm sunny day. It is starting to look like it might turn out okay

Question; on the metal strips with teeth above the door, how much should they be sticking out?
    When the material is tucked up it seems to stay put, but it can still pulled back out.
    Nothing has been trimmed yet and was thinking the teeth should dig in a little more.

5. Hey Bruce, it's been over 5 years but as I remember the teeth are punched out at a 30-40 degree angle and were pretty sharp. I think the excess folded head liner material provide the pressure against the grip strips.

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

That is my concern, mine seem like they might be a little too flat.
    Hopefully it will hold okay, if not might have to pull it apart

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Not great, but a major improvement and considering it was my first attempt. it will be just fine. I may have to pull the strips over the doors off and reset the points, just could not get that areas tight. WP_20150606_16_39_56_Pro.jpg

Johnboy34 likes this.
  8. Looks pretty damn good from where I'm sittin'. That's a lot of headliner to be putting up, especially for the first attempt. You're doing fine. I'm enjoying watching your build come together.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks for the encouragement Bowtie. Your right about the size of the material that needs to get installed, perhaps my next build should be a coupe?

belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. A few 90+ degree days in the sun and that should tighten up a bunch.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Hi Fan,
    looks like I misunderstood, if you are saying that the heat will shrink up the liner after it is all installed, that will be great.
    Was under the impression it was primarily used to install, like with a heat gun. Put the car in the driveway to set for a while before the final stretch and it got was easier to pull.
    Getting all the interior trim back in and then will try the "Solar" approach

12. 1959apache

1959apache

gingerly use a heat gun from a distance. That's what we used at the upholstery shop. It will tighten up from there

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  13. nice ! just picked up a 60 Chevy Delivery... keep the updates coming... looking good !

14. Heh, heh, heh! After doing that behemoth, doing a coupe oughta be a snap for you! I'm working on my '59 El Camino now and I kept thinking, "thank goodness the El Camino's interior is smaller!":D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks guys
    Bowtie, the El Camino will be just like the Nomad... except you can do it all with out moving from one spot on the front seat!

16. carlk60

carlk60

Lookin good bruce, see you in 7 days

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Got the last of the trim back in tonight. Really hoping the hot weather will tighten up the rest of the headliner, but fairly happy with how it is looking even if it doesn't

Attached Files:

18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That's a lot of material! I think you did good, maybe someone will chime in with details on shrinking. I've read about it but not done it Myself so I think it looks great. Good on you for taking it on!

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Johnboy34,
    Several friends have asked why I did not have the headliner done by a pro, the standard reply is "I already know how to write a check and putting one in was something worth a try"

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

11742756_10153080146632424_8059876319070109563_n.jpg Looks like the Nomad must be getting close to being done with "Phase 1"
    Got the "Mayors Choice" award last night

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Not much has happen on the car the past few months but some driving. with the the end of summer
    I've been trying to decide if i should store the wagon and work on a OT (71) this winter. Leaning toward the OT as it needs some work that is not too optional.
    Mean while I picked up a used go-kart and am rebuilding it with my 10 year old grandson. Frame mod's, new brakes, gears, clutch, tires etc. it is the top project i hope to be done with before winter. we only can work on it a few time s a month but he loves to learn and do the work.

Johnboy34 and guthriesmith like this.
  22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Update on headliner... it looks like it did tighten up over the summer. (actually 2 summers, ~15 months)
    Starting to line up a few things to do over the winter (can't believe it will be here soon)

Johnboy34 likes this.
  23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

On the glass 1/2 full side, still working on my OT car, but i lost the storage deal i have used for several years, so both cars will be at home all winter. not too big of a deal to swap spots and work on both if time allows. Just have to part my daily driver out in the drive way and deal with the snow and frost. need to get a priority list and plan for the winter, as it will likely still arrive here in Minnesota.
    The Nomad should get some smaller details worked on and perhaps a new gas tank (or a bit of JB Weld)

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well, finally broke down and purchased a brand new gas tank.
    Plan to take some longer trips this year and its time to bite the bullet and get it done.
    Paying ~50% of the original cost for the car was a little steep, but there comes a point it is really part of finishing the build :cool:
    Will swap it our in the next month when things warm up a bit

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

If building was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Gary

1959Nomad likes this.
  26. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well Summer is here and there was no winter work on the Nomad (my 12 year newer "OT convert" project has gone way past the plan) Have taken a few drives and plan to clean it up fairly soon for Back to the 50's.
    Starting to think about swaping the 6 for a built 283 that was purchased long ago and has been sitting.
    That will have to wait until the OT gets painted and back on the road. At this point that seem like a piece of cake with no welding or painting, just bolting things in place and a bit of rewiring.

Bowtie Coupe and Max Gearhead like this.
  27. belair

belair

Congrats. I've done a few, and they can be wolly boogers.

1959Nomad likes this.
  28. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I have got to get to back to the 50s. I even heard there was a Turnpike Cruiser there last year!

1959Nomad likes this.
  29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well the winter work on my other old car is wrapping up, after 5 winters vs the one that was planned.
    With the "stay at home" there should be some time to do some "nice to have" work on the Nomad.
    - 2 Speed WSW with spray
    - Lower rear window seals
    - Perhaps even mounting to the rear bumper mounts for a small motor cycle, a 1964 Honda CT200 (Trail 90)
    We shall see:cool: