Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Plymouth Savoy, grave mistake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buckle, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Buckle

Buckle

True Story:

So I'm on my way to a party last Saturday evening to see some old friends when I spot the front end of what looks to be a 58 Plymouth, a car that I have ALWAYS wanted, I know some of you can relate to that feeling. Turns out it's for sale. Of course I hadn't planned on buying another car anytime soon being knee deep in another project right now. I looked the car over, talked to the owner who seemed knowledgeable and honest about the car, and I just had to have it. I haven't felt like this in a long time about a car, I'm pretty good about not getting emotionally involved when looking at a car. It was all I could do to not sound like Arnie Cunnigham and say "What are you asking, whatever it is it's not enough". I made the deal and brought the car home Monday afternoon. It's a 1958 Plymouth Savoy, flathead six, three speed on the column, 56,000 original miles (so I'm told, and it does appear to be), manual steering, etc. It drives very cool, I can't stop thinking about it. Here's where it gets weird. Two friends of mine happen to stop by to see the car shortly after I got it home, Aaron51 and a genuine Old-School friend of mine, Greg, from down the road that builds his own motorized bicycles and other neat stuff. I thought I would be giving rides and talking about the car, instead only minutes after these guys arrived the 90 degree sunny day turned very cloudy and windy to the point Aaron wanted to get in his ride and get home because he didn't want to get caught in the down pour that looked in store judging by the clouds. Greg had the same thought since he came over on his 1940 motorized bicycle. Aaron's car wouldn't start, this never happens, he ended up having to sort of hot-wire it because of electrical trouble in the dash somewhere. Greg's bike wouldn't run either, I ended up taking him home with his bike in the back of my pick-up truck. He has come over a hundred times before on his bike that he takes great care and pride in, with no problems. Instead of showing the car, I found myself running tools from my garage to the driveway for these guys in an attempt to get them on the road and home safely. I couldn't resist taking some pictures of all this because it was too weird. Anyway, we'll see what happens from here forward, I know I can't take it back because the guys told me "Don't be bringin' her back neither, cause I'm sellin' this shit-hole and buyin' me a condo" or something to that effect :D Here are some pics of my new car.

Buckle

Attached Files:

2. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

The Green Christine is pretty mean!
    Ha, that is the second time my starter button has crapped out on me. Time for a new one. I'd blame the savoy but then the Chevy (which from now on will be called the Codger) does this kind of crap all the time. She's a cool ride and boy does that flat 6 run smooth!

3. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Awesome pick up on the plymouth, always loved those aswell. Good story too, maybe those things really are possesed :eek:

4. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

thats a bad ass car !love the grill

5. beatnik

beatnik

Nice find buckle, I've always liked these cars, looks like it's already got some pinstriping and a set of belflowers too.

Gus

6. Buckle

Buckle

LOL, Yeah, I'm startin' to wonder....

7. Buckle

Buckle

Thanks! Good eye, you're right. Most everything on the car is to my liking, I will change a couple of things to make it more "mine", but I think the exhaust will remain, I like it.

Buckle

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Awesome.

I don't know what it is with these cars (I have a '57 Plymouth 2dr wagon) but once you see that one is available, you just HAVE to snatch it up.

Mine came with the same 230, but with a 2spd auto. I ditched that for something else. lol.

Car looks awesome. And that interior is just cool in mint green. :D I bet it has just about the finest smell in the world. 'Cept maybe for...

Attached Files:

9. octane

octane
    from Virginia

That thing is badass!! A buddy of mine just picked up a similar ride...not as clean, but cool as hell. I love that body style. Congrats on the new ride.

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

all cars are possessed. But a Green Christine was just asking for it! Fortunately, it's extremely badass and a nice score.

11. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I give you a man with a passion for cars...
    A man ppossed....
    And his new found car which is EQUALLY possessed.....

Welcome to the TWILGHT ZONE!!!

12. Buckle

Buckle

57 Wagon eh, very cool. I like those a lot. That must be rare, haven't seen but a couple in pictures before. Maybe never in person.

Thanks, I like the mint green interior also. No shitter ever came between me and....lol

13. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Nice ride Buckle. I don't think I could have let that one pass aswell... ;)
    Now if I could only find an affordable '57/'58 Plymouth in my neck of the woods... :D

14. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

So, where's the grave mistake? Man, I love those cars. Unfortunately, everytime I find one they're priced right, but they're serious rustbuckets. Virgil Exner designed that thing, right?

15. Frank

Frank

WTH, you have a SBF in there? A Mopar with a Ford motor isn't something you see everyday. So how far is it from being a driver?

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yeah, fairly rare. Not a lot of them left anyway.

If you're looking for any HAMB-style inspiration, take a look in this thread (check out all the pages). I seem to be the only one contributing. :rolleyes:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7195&start=1

Oh, here's a side shot of mine. It's pretty crusty as you can tell. :eek:

*edit - Frank, it has a 289/C4 out of a '66 Mustang in it. Got it for cheap and it was dead reliable. I'm moving in 6 weeks, and I don't want to tow it. Still have to finalize the trans crossmember exhaust and driveshaft, and plumb the fuel system.

Attached Files:

17. Buckle

Buckle

I was just kidding about making a mistake in relation to the unusual mechanical problems in vehicles sitting next to mine once I got it home. They are hard to find, that is for sure. That's one reason I am so exicted to find one 20 minutes away, pretty amazing when I think about it.

18. Buckle

Buckle

Excuse me if I have the details wrong, I really am still learning about these cars. I think it is a flathead Mopar 6, I didn't mean to imply a flathead ford. It's a driver right now, it runs real smooth and doesn't seem to need much for general driving and bombing around.

19. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I will own a 58 someday.... one of my dream cars for sure. congrats

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I believe he was asking about mine. ;) Didn't meant to put so much about my car here. :eek: I love your sedan, man. Now find a Hilborn-injected 392 for it. :D

Go to forwardlook.net and plymouthcentral.com for a ton of information and message forums. And be sure to plan a trip to Tulsa OK in July '07 for the buried '57 Plymouth unveiling, we're ALL gonna be there. :D

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Very cool...always been on my "someday" list, but a local friend of mine in NJ snatches them up by the droves....I think he has 11 or so 57/58s in various forms. 2 Christine clones, 1 running a 440 in the low 12s and the other built SBC setup not far behind. Definately love those tho.

22. Buckle

Buckle

Oh, I see, no problem I was confused there for a moment. Your wagon looks sweet! I like the color. Yeah, a 392 would be a nice find, probably lots of $$ for one of those.

That is really interesting, are you really going to Tulsa next year? Oh yeah, your avatar is awesome.

Buckle

23. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

hey i have a similar story except when i was closing my workshop up the other night i just got down closing the garage doors to turn around and hear the sound of metal clankin together so i turn around and expect to see a family of racoons in my 27 T "because thats realy what it sounded like" but there was nothing. and i got a gross feeling like maybe i should go inside and sleep now...

24. Buckle

Buckle

Maybe it was Buddy Reppertin, ha ha :D

Buckle