Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1958 Impala factory power brake problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by battersea boys, Aug 30, 2016.

1. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

My 58 will not pull up

I have skimmed drums, new shoes, new cylinders, new hoses, rebuilt master and booster, all bled and adjusted to slight binding, power vacuum is working the brakes just seem not to want to self servo
    and application to stop has to be quite harsh, any ideas

2. Are they in fact self-energizing brakes? If so, did you install the short, leading shoes to the front of the drum and the longer trailing shoes to the back?

3. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

yes did that

4. Just to clarify... When you say "will not pull up" do you mean the pedal feels soft and/or the brakes don't seem to be getting the proper grip on the drums? And by "skimming the drums" you mean you had them turned on a brake lathe?

Did you install harder, heavier duty shoes? After a certain point some shoes work better after they get hot and not so well when they're cold.

Also pull the drums and see how much actual contact area shows on the new shoes. As the drums are turned larger you may find you only have a fairly small contact area in the middle of the shoe's arc. They should eventually wear-in with the entire shoe making contact with the surface of the drum. The alternative might be to have the shoes arc-ground for each individual drum, assuming you can find someone who still has the equipment to do it and who knows how. This will also will take some of the life out of your new shoes.

5. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

will not pull up, hard pedal
    yes drums were machined
    the old shoes which were new appeared glazed with chatter lines and uneven wear, the drum,shoe relationship is I would say with in tolorance..

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Are you getting vacuum to the booster and is the booster working correctly? There is a one way valve, it may be malfunctioning.

7. I'm not positive about this but a hard pedal may mean you could have the wrong size MC bore fore the wheel cylinders. A great place to get info is at MPBrakes. http://www.mpbrakes.com/ poke around their web site. You could research at VCCA http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary to get bore sizes etc. Do you have original pedal arm, for correct leverage. Also be sure that the vacuum line is located where it should be .Full vacuum at manifold or where ever Chevy put it at factory. Luck

http://www.mpbrakes.com/techtalk/how-to-series/how-to-diagnosing-a-hard-brake-pedal

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

did you use the right actuator rod when the master was installed? Some booster/MC applications have different length rods.

9. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Every thing is stock,I will need to borrow a vacuum gauge car is 348 with tri power and turbo glide, I have acquired a set of nos brake shoes that I am going to fit, there does not appear to be any adjustment in the arm from the booster