Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 ford torque converter interchange 6 cyl-V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0nedon, Feb 5, 2020.

1. 0nedon

0nedon

I have a friend who has a 57 Fairlane 6 cyl. The 2 steel drive "ears" have been broken, chipped, from I'm guessing dropping into gear many years ago. The car still operated ok this was found out because of a leaking soft plug and engine removale. He would like to replace it. 1- will a V8 converter interchange with 6 cyl. converter? 2- could you just change the drive hub? He has the converter out but has not fuly disaaaembled it, looks like the drive hub is bloted in? Thanks

2. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

According to my old interchange book.
    B7a7908a converter
    Ford 52-54
    Ford 55-60 6 cyl
    Ford truck 53-55
    Ford truck 56-64 6 cyl
    F/M/3 &C/M cast iron transmission

3. 0nedon

0nedon

So would you be able to change the steel 2 tab driver?? (part in the front of the converter I think the engine turns it. So Charlie the interchange book don't list if the V8 is different? Or only 6 cylinder is all that will fit? Thanks again

4. squirrel

squirrel

The way his listing reads, I would interpret it to mean that a V8 converter from 52-54 car, or 53-55 truck, will also fit.

5. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

Squirrel has the same interpretation that I do. A little more looking at the interchange reveals that the 6 converter is 17 spline and some v-8 are 29 spline. To further muddy the waters some complete transmissions are interchangeable as an assembly but not all. I found an old trans manual that talks about disassembling the converter. It appears that there’s a large diameter gasket and two o rings in the converter. The drive hub unbolts and can be replaced. Torque to 8 to 10 foot pounds. Are the drives the same? You’ll have to tell us. Never had one apart. Your mileage may vary!!

6. 0nedon

0nedon

Thanks Guys, like most times there are no sure bets. I've found him several V8 cars but no 6 cyl.. He'll have to take a chance and buy one of them or keep looking for the 6 cyl. one. I haven't seen it my self he has it at a small shop and they don't seem to be in any hurry, been there over 3 mo.. I'll let you know what I find out but it ay be awhile.