Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevy Pickup Pt. 2 "El Trucko"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaylorCrawford, Sep 12, 2011.

1. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

I was just about to start the suspension work on my 57 ' as well. I think I'll try the same thing with removing a couple leaves. How did the process go by the way. Was it difficult to take apart?

2. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

No it wasnt very difficult. I took out 3 springs and I think that was too much. Its way to spongy and bottoms out on big bumps.

3. dubie

dubie

did you replace your shocks to absorb some of the load when you lowered it?

4. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

I would think maybe install some shorter shocks, that would be my guess..... I have no appointments for the shop tomorrow so I'm ping to jack it up and get going. Just wish I had a decent set of wheels to set my black widow on.

5. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya we put new shocks on when my buddy and I lowered it. And if I remember correctly they were shorter then stock.

6. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

Finally got my black widow painted over the weekend, still needs a little body work but other than that, it looks pretty sharp to me! I don't know how to post pics tho

7. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

Wait let me try this rite quick

Attached Files:

8. ... and you shipped it to Australia :D?

9. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

Down under ehh, nice! I'm trying to get it ready for a benefit car show my shop is hosting next month. Wether or not it's ready, I'm showing it. Just hope I can get it running smoothly for the cruise. What I'm needing most is a wire harness tho when I got my truck, every single wire was shot.

10. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

You can do what the PO of Taylor's truck did and just use trailer wiring harness wire. :)

11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Looks pretty good even when its upside down!

12. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Haha. The trailer wiring worked though!

13. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

Mapped out most of the wiring today, only problems I'm having is theirs no fuse box, and which wires to hook to the ignition resistor. Most of the wiring was trash so I threw it away as it fell apart when I got the truck. But was thinking of moulding trailer lights in the rear and using the light wire kit to update the old worn out ones. She's fighting me but I'm detirmined to get her running by this weekend.

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

I started mapping mine, while it is still fresh in my mind. It's weird to me that not many hot builders create a schematic for their creations...I would think it would be a critical step in the build, especially when you're tracing a problem years later.

15. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

Can anyone tell me the basic layout of the fuses? I'm just going to set in some inline fuses for the time being but I don't know what goes to what since the wiring was all crap to begin with. Haven't had much time to mess with it but it needs to be done.

16. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Why yes, yes it did.

17. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Dude your pretty close to hi jacking someone else's build thread. Starting your own would probably get you more answers quicker.

I'm just sayin'

18. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

My dad and I just put in a brand new harness. We used a Rebel 9+3 circuit. It came pretty much all layed out and labled. I think it would be easier to just rip the old harness out and put a new on in, instead of having to deal with an old rats nest of wires. That way ya got somethin solid and reliable in it. Just my opinion though....

19. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Alright, so Im about to make some progress on this thing, and then I hit a major road block and everything comes to a screeching stop...

Right now Im running 15x6 wheel with 0 offset, and I believe its 3.5" of backspacing. I cant go any lower or else I'll scrape the rear fenders. I called the Wheelsmith (and I was a little less then stoked on the way the treated me over the phone, but whatever.) And they said they cant make the wheels with the backspacing I need to be able to clear my fenders. I need to bring my wheels/tires 1.5" closer to the bed of the truck.

So what do I do now? Run a different wheel and tire? Narrow the axle?

Anyone who's tucking there tires, what size wheel and tire are you running?

[​IMG]

20. dubie

dubie

i ended up swapping my rear end to one from a Chevelle that is 2" narrower to be able to run that same back space with the 15" Corvette rally wheels. The cheapest way would be to get different rims, I would think

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

A BFG 255/70R15 tire will fit, but it needs to be centered perfectly. Right now I have 1.2" clearance to the side of the bed and .8" clearance to the fender.

Your question really can't be answered correctly until you give us the axle measurement from outside face of the left drum to outside face of the right drum. Go get that measurement and post it here...

22. Wheelsmith is the best wheel company in SoCal. Ask for Bob. Known him quite a while. He will work with all your requirements,even mount wheels to check clearance. It isn't easy to solve a problem over the phone.

23. Buzznut

Buzznut

Are you looking to tuck more than this?

[​IMG]

24. dubie, what year Chevelle rear did you use?

25. dubie

dubie

I used the rear end from a 65 Chevelle

26. dubie

dubie

here is mine with 255 60 R 15's on thew back with 3 1/2" back space and 215 60 R 15's up front

Attached Files:

27. Buzznut

Buzznut

If it helps, my rear axle is a full posi 10 bolt out of an '83 Caprice, wheels are 15x8 with 4.25 backspace.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  28. That's a BIG help- I just picked up a set of Ansens that are 15x7 and 15x8... guess I've abandoned the 6 lug idea, huh :D?

29. Buzznut

Buzznut

Not sure if you were referring to my post, but the Caprice axle is 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern.

I also think these axles are still readily available...

30. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Yes, Im gonna run air bags in the back.