Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jurassic, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Nicely done! Looks factory and the total opposite of what a lot of people did over the years by "Bel Airing" the 150s & 210s. BTW - aren't we on a board where folks chop, channel, stretch, shave, french, pancake hoods, section, lower, fill roofs, radius wheelwells, and otherwise totally modify the bejesus out of rarer cars than the tri 5s? Nothing sacred to me. Anyone can restore a car, but it takes balls to cut one up.

2. 1320/150

1320/150

I say cutting up four doors is great idea!!!
    [​IMG]

3. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

AMEN, Thanks ,Tim

4. 1320/150

1320/150

I agree these cars are ours to do with what we want.... But wouldn't you agree cars like your so called virgin 150 would have been better off with someone who liked a virgin car for what it is,and you then cut up a car that was already rusty and been run through the ringer. You have a cool car,but I think some cars are to be cut up some not!!!This is just a difference of opinion. I enjoy original paint virgin cars,you don't!!!

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's the fins on a 57 Chevy that kinda doesn't let the pick up treatment work, flat ones are it. I would love to make a 60 Ford Starliner Ranchero, it would look amazing.

6. What am a I saying? Simple, if you are going to cut a car in half and make it a caricature of what it once was, use one that is more suitable for the project if it doesn't turn out right. What's so wrong with that? Preserving these cars is a bad thing to do? Why do you think we still have so many of them today? And you think there should be less? I don't consider either of your customs "cut up" and I would be proud to own either one. Nothing you have done is irreversible or distateful to me. Nosing and decking a car is not the same as cutting the roof off one. They fit very well within the definition of a custom and they are easily recognizable as a what it is, a NOMAD! How many of you guys are bitching about how expensive good old cars are and you can't find "good" ones anymore? I don't own my cars because of the dollar signs attached to them and that they'll be "worth more" if there are less of them left. I'd rather see more of them "tastefully" modified and available to you guys in the future instead of something you guys will be saying "what was that guy thinking when he did that" when it goes to the crusher. Because I'll bet that for everyone that turns out well and gets finished there will be 10 that don't. Think about it!

7. Actually anyone can cut a car up, but it takes BRAINS and SKILL to finish it and make it more beautiful that it was before! And there's only one thing you should be using your balls for and it doesn't have anything to do with cars! :D

8. There's a guy in my area that bought a perfect original '57 150 sedan that's a virgin. It's going to be stripped and the original stuff will be sold off piece by piece so it can be turned into a gold chain billet mobile show car. There's plenty of cars that could be used for that instead of this one. :( Do you approve of that? I don't! But then it is HIS car!

9. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I do understand where your coming from but it is a matter of opinion. I wouldnt strip it to make a billet peice of crap but I would cut it to make a gasser with it for sure. It is all a matter of opinion. But in the end it is his car and he can do with it as he will.

10. glassguy

glassguy

you are well versed my friend. well put!!!! yes that nomad is fantastic. i like the black version best,, but by no means would i consider it 'cut up" back in the day when it was a 15 or 20 year old car that would one thing,. but nowadays i dont know.. i know the olds club of america wants to kill me for what ive done to my car, but again its by no means cut up..

11. When your name is on the title you can do whatever you want with it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with "cutting up" a car if you are improving the lines. Take your time, think it out before you cut and you will be just fine.

I have always wanted to build a 55-56-or 57 as an El Camino that looks factory correct. That black 57 is about as nice of conversion as I have ever seen.
    PS
    The doors on a 59 El Camino are the same length as 2 door. I used the trim off a rusty "elky" years ago for my 59 2 door Bel-Air. The tops of the doors are different though. Wish I knew where that rusty El-Camino went...the top and tops of the doors would have been great doners!

12. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

I think you should cut it,cut it,cut it. The black one on pg. one does it for me too!

13. Ron Castro

Ron Castro

Hi, I know this is an old post but wondering if you started or completed your project? I have a 1960 El Camino that I’ve been working on. Anyway, I also collect Die Cast model cars. Well I ran across a 1957 Chevy El Camino by Danbury Mint. I was curious about it and found out that the 1957 Chevy El Camino was a concept car. I’ll try to upload a picture.

Attached Files:

41 coupe likes this.