Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jurassic, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Well, I'm all for it. I prefer '60 over '59 El Caminos and that handyman wagon 2 or 4 door does nothing for me so I say do it.

2. classiccruzer

classiccruzer

No photo chop here. I have seen this thing. Some guy has it in the very northern part of Washington or Vancouver Canada area. It has been at the Demming auto show the past two years. Although the work has been beautifully done it has to be the uglyist thing I have ever seen. What a shame a Nomad too.

Attached Files:

3. I found a good candidate for the this project for just $2500........
    and you could probably get it for less than that!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. robleticia

robleticia

From this angle, you almost can't tell which way it's going! But from the other angles, I LIKE IT!
    [​IMG]

5. I think the roof pillars fight each other. It´s not quite right IMHO.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Yup.

I wonder if you could use the back glass from a 58 wagon to smooth things out?

[​IMG]

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Why not use the '57 back glass?

8. Its too square and narrow with the liftgate frame around it IMO.

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Gotcha. Then yeah, perhaps the '58 would be a good candidate.

10. T-Roy

T-Roy

Can someone photochop the 60-61 Corvair roof and rear window on? I'm not sure I would be able to do it, though I like the idea. And the black elco looks pretty damn good, but agree the pillar needs to be wider.

11. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

this sure is a great place ,and some great people.its nice to discuss a project with people who understand.after alot of talking about it,and thinking about it ,and inspecting both cars,i think i am going to just find me a nice 59 el camino to buy. even if i had the skills to perform the operation i really dont have the time. i do believe that the black 57 is the best looking conversion out there ,and i can now appreciate the amount of work that must have went into it.i can also appreciate how really nice the handyman is.

12. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

It is a very cool car. I hope my opposition to your idea never came across as personal; I just love two-door wagons.

furyus

13. Ditto on that, I think you made a wise decision and if you ever decide to take on the El Camino project there are donor cars out there like the one I posted that would be better suited for it. I'll do a search for some '59 El Caminos and PM them to you. They are a beautiful car!

14. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Id say Do it! Im a 2 door wagon guy, there are several around. Its not a rare one like an 860 Pontiac Wagon. Besides, the green & White car doesnt look like a bad parts car, if you need a donor to rebuild what you already had.

So....whats up with the Gas Pump in front of that wagon?

15. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

since i've decided to keep the handyman like it is ,i need some wheels.just me personally, i cant stand these boyds wheels .they are too big ,and the front ones rubb on the fender bad. plus i'd like to level the car out.i really like the stock look on my cars.so i'm in the market for a set of stock wheels, tires and hubcaps for this wagon.should they be 15" or 14" ? i'd prefer the 15's myself,and got a set of boyds to trade.or will buy outright. thanks

16. IIRC they should be 14" - but in truth they look a shade too small. I´d go for 15"s again.

17. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

thanks james,thats what i was thinking 14 are too small.maybe a photoshop?? thanks alot, lonnie

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'd keep the stance! But I'm with you on the wheels and tires. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

19. moparron426

moparron426

20. Pudde

Pudde
    from oregon

Attached Files:

21. T-Roy

T-Roy

Dig the wagon, Django! Didn't know you had one.

22. 1320/150

1320/150

I am glad to see you sold it instead of cutting it up!!! It looks like you got a pretty handsome bid!!!

23. I really don't understand all of the folks on here saying that that wagon is too nice to cut...think they may be on the wrong board....maybe try a restoration board.

24. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I say cut it up....cut them all up.... I owned a 57 nomad and quess what happened...:D . Tim

25. There's plenty of rough ones to cut up, so why make a mess of a good one? Post some pics what you've CUT UP and FINISHED. Let us be the judge of the results. I've been around long enough to see a lot of good cars cut up for someones dream, err.......nightmare! Usually they never get finished and are waste of a good car!

And some should never be finished! I rest my case! A '57 Nomad........

26. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

So what are you tring to say? First off I have never stated that nomad looked good! But I find nothing wrong with the cuttung up a rust free virgin Nomad. Look at my avitar...The 55...It WAS a virgin all original when I start cutting it . Oh you want proof .......This was my 57 nomad done first as a 50's custom ( shaved gate handle ,door handles, hood etc). Then after I showed it for awhile I took out the welder and welded up all the trim holes and made the red and white car. And yes you can un shave a door handle. Not cut up enough for you? The people here were pissed. It was My car I did what I wanted to it. It was a rust free LA car. Also, What is with all this to rare crap. If I cut up my rare car yours will be worth more . Oh and by the way if you say these were not the same car look at the interior...same white leatther tuck and roll.....Of course, not everybody should have a saw in hand. Any more questions. Tim

Attached Files:

27. edweird

edweird

how about the rear roof section from a 57 4 dr hardtop.

28. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

Funny you bring up that type of roof. We have been eyeballing a 57 4-dr hdtop at the shop for a cut. We want to move the roof forward keeping the rear glass and roof contours. Use use protions of the rear door glass in the front doors and weld up the rear doors. The trunk area and back seat area would then be converted to a truck bed.. It is just a thought right now. I need a shop truck that can pull a trailer so.....Tim